1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Teachers.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jiro, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    How do you know when you have a good Bass teacher? I am trying to find one to accelerate my bass playing abilities :bassist:

2. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I think the first thing you have to do is just talk shop with him/her for a while. If you like what you hear, maybe jam for a while. Depending on the price, you should just take some lessons from them, probably 3 to 5 lessons to get a good feel for what they are like.

To find a great bass teacher is very rewarding. I was blessed to have a very talented teacher. We started out using a book, but I picked up the fingering coordination (sp) quickly, so mostly we would just jam and he would show me different techniques.

He cut me loose after a little more than a year. He said I had to create my own style and he had taught me what I needed to make my own sound and style. That was 5 years ago, and I miss having lessons with him, but I'm glad he cut me loose. It made me more creative.

3. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    A good bass teacher is a teacher that makes ou wanna learn, and it's incompetent ( butchered? ). My bass teacher just taught me songs I wanted for the first few weeks to help develop a love for the instrument, and then I Wanted to do technique, scales, and reading because he wasn't forcin it on me.

4. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    A teacher that is good qualifications
    *Must be funny
    *Must talk about their gigs over the week
    *Must be a teacher you want to impress, where you count down the hours to the next lesson.
    *Must be able to make you think c**p-a-nola, he/she is good when jamming

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My bass teacher was a HORRIBLE bass player (He was my original guitar teacher, great guitarist), but he was a cool guy. After about 6 lessons, I went to go on with no lessons. I didn't really need lessons because of my past musical experience (11 years of piano, 7 of trumpet). I have yet to visit him again, though I want to.