Bass Teachers.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jiro, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    How do you know when you have a good Bass teacher? I am trying to find one to accelerate my bass playing abilities :bassist:
  2. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I think the first thing you have to do is just talk shop with him/her for a while. If you like what you hear, maybe jam for a while. Depending on the price, you should just take some lessons from them, probably 3 to 5 lessons to get a good feel for what they are like.

To find a great bass teacher is very rewarding. I was blessed to have a very talented teacher. We started out using a book, but I picked up the fingering coordination (sp) quickly, so mostly we would just jam and he would show me different techniques.

He cut me loose after a little more than a year. He said I had to create my own style and he had taught me what I needed to make my own sound and style. That was 5 years ago, and I miss having lessons with him, but I'm glad he cut me loose. It made me more creative.
  3. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    A good bass teacher is a teacher that makes ou wanna learn, and it's incompetent ( butchered? ). My bass teacher just taught me songs I wanted for the first few weeks to help develop a love for the instrument, and then I Wanted to do technique, scales, and reading because he wasn't forcin it on me.
  4. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    A teacher that is good qualifications
    *Must be funny
    *Must talk about their gigs over the week
    *Must be a teacher you want to impress, where you count down the hours to the next lesson.
    *Must be able to make you think c**p-a-nola, he/she is good when jamming
  5. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My bass teacher was a HORRIBLE bass player (He was my original guitar teacher, great guitarist), but he was a cool guy. After about 6 lessons, I went to go on with no lessons. I didn't really need lessons because of my past musical experience (11 years of piano, 7 of trumpet). I have yet to visit him again, though I want to.