1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass that exceeded expectation?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Anthbass, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    For many years, I wanted a 5 string Cirrus. I built hundreds of customs on the Peavey bass builder, in every possible combination. I dreamed about Cirri, I listened to clips on YT, and eye-humped pics of them here on TB.

About 3 years ago, an opportunity arose to trade for a walnut/wenge 5 here, so I went for it. Guess what? The bass has consistently exceeded my expectations, which were insanely high. I love the way it plays, how it sounds, looks, and feels. I wouldn't change anything about it, not even the gold hardware (although that took some time to grow on me).

Perhaps the craziest part is that I'd never ever played a Cirrus of any kind prior to purchase, and had only ever seen one in action. But all my research told me that it would be 'right' for me, and it was. Cool!

I'd love to hear from those of us who've also had a bass deliver beyond expectation.

2. A couple of years ago I went to GC and tried out the Squier CV 60s Jazz Bass. It most definitely exceeded my expectations. Played great, sounded great, and for under three Benjamins, it's a steal! :D

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My band was scheduled to play a biker rodeo several years back. I really didn't want to bring my Rickenbacker out in the dust, sun and wind so I decided to build a very basic bass out of parts I could find on E-bay. I soon discovered that a beat to crap P-bass body wasn't beat to crap, it was "vintage". The same thing went for dented necks and rusty hardware. There were no bargains to be found anywhere.

Then I stumbled across a beat to crap Hoppus sig P-bass. I met the criteria of what I had intended to built almost exactly with the exception of having a P neck as opposed to the J neck I wanted. So I bought the beat up fugly blue bass intending to play it for the biker gig, and probably flip it for the $350.00 I had paid for it.

It showed up in horrible shape. The intonation was waaaay off, the neck had a TON of forward bow to it........

I did a set up, cleaned it up and put new strings on it, and MAN! This bass is the whole package! It's thumpy, it's bright..... It has tone for days! It plays like a champ......

So, about three years later, I've probably got 2,000 hours or better of stage time on the POS Hoppus I bought cheap. (I did swap out the neck for a Carvin SB-4000 neck) And I bet I haven't played my Ric more than 40 hours since I got it.

I never intended to fall in love with a Hoppus, but it kinda just happened.......

4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I went on a fretless kick and sold all my fretted basses last year and then realized there were situations where I actually wanted a fretted bass. I asked Ben Lindsey to build me a fretted Precision. Even though I've never been too fond of Precisions, I think it's good to have one, just in case. I knew it would be good, but when I took it to practice, it exceeded all expectations and has become my main bass. I never thought I'd be a Precision player, but it just sounds too good to put down.

5. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    My guitar player bought out the remains of a guy's small music store and gave me a tobacco burst Squier Affinity Jazz. Nuff said.

6. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    88 Peavey Foundation...hung around for eons at $125 on the local list. Talked the guy down to $100 with OHSC.

Expectations were zero, I was playing an American Fender jazz exclusively at the time and thought it was the last bass I'd ever need.

I never touched the jazz again, sold it a couple of months later:). The Foundation's neck felt like it had been designed for my hands, the micro tilt made setup a breeze, and the super ferrites blew away the jazz for the rock and roll I was playing. I absolutely love the thing.

7. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    danelectro basses: they really exceed expectations

8. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Ibanez basses. I have four now. I'm constantly surprised by how well they play and sound. I don't understand how they can make great basses for $500 when I go to the store and try out expensive basses that dissapoint.

9. A '92 Peavey Fury I got for $120.

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  10. osuok88

osuok88 Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX - USA
    USA Peavey Fury

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  11. ThatLowEnd

ThatLowEnd Dirt, Trucks, BBQ, Whiskey

Apr 14, 2012
    Down In The Delta
    Has been/Never was
    +1

I LOOOOVE my BTB1206 bass and have yet to find something with a more even tone any where near the price range.

12. fishdreams

fishdreams Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification and and Martin Keith Guitars
    The Linc Luthier fretless i bought on ebay, which I expected to be a good bass, but a gamble nonetheless. At first the neck profile felt awkward, and i didnt know quite what to make of the tone - but once I found the right strings for it (TI flats) - man, there's no going back. Passive, 2 knobs, big fat sound and for some reason, I experience total freedom on that thing. What more does one want? (OK, a fretted one)

13. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Squier VM Jazz.. Way exceeded my expectations. Very nice bass for the $$

Bassmike62 likes this.
  14. My Ibanez ATK-305. I bought it when somebody posted here about a great deal on them (I think it was Musician's Friend?), figuring there was at least a 50% chance I'd end up just flipping it for a slight profit because I got it so cheap. I ended up loving the crap out of this thing; it's ridiculously comfy to play. It currently shares co-main bass duties with my L-2500, and on several occasions when I've shown up with the G&L, my singer has asked me "where's the sparkle bass?!" :rolleyes::D

15. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    My third Fodera blew the other two out of the water by playability, tone and appearance.

Cliff Bordwell Basses are also an amazing value for their price. Cliff ALWAYS impresses.

16. Gimme4

Gimme4

Feb 27, 2011
    My Aria DMB380. A mosrite copy that lists for 399.00. Picked it up in a TB trade a few months ago. The "FB-1" jazz p'ups are dead quiet, balance is perfect,& the Seafoam green w/ white pearl pickguard is "cool in that un-hip way"! Love it!

17. Pretty much ALL Squiers. I always expect them to be nice but I almost always end up wanting to buy whichever one I'm playing at the time.

There was also this super weird looking bass that I played, I forget the name, but it looked like it came straight out of the 80s. Played and sounded like a million bucks. Too bad it was so funny looking and only had 4 strings.

18. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Well I couldn't resist temptation and recently snagged a mint cond Fender Modern Player Telecaster bass for 4 bills. (butterscotch) I just really dig the looks of this bass and am finding it to be a heckuva bass for the money. Build quality is great and so far I've got no issues with the hardware. And after a good setup it's turning out to be a really good player. Some think these basses are CVs in disguise. So far I'm liking it and being an inexpensive bass it will be a good option for those gigs where I'd rather not take a higher end instrument.

19. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    +1. Or should I say +6? As I have had six (3 currently, the oldest a 1987 that I am the original owner).

20. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    +1, ATKs are ridiculously good!!