1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass through PA

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by pbrawner, May 18, 2011.

1. pbrawner

pbrawner

May 18, 2011
    Do I have to run my bass guitur through a compressor? Also, what is a good affordable solution for bass for a church playing modern rock worship? Different bass guitars...just looking for a good all around solution...amps? pedals? ahh...please help. :)

2. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

too many variables to give a credible answer.

More information OR you'll just receive buy an XYZ answer

3. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Get a DI pedal that offers tone control. I like the Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Drive (fairly standard). You can get a very decent tone through the PA, should be great for the Church gig, especially if you have monitors. Others here use other pedals(tone hammer, Eden has a new one out, etc)- but I haven't played around with them much and my Bass Driver has held up to years of abuse.

4. MNAirHead

Before buying anything.. we still need to know how your PA is setup and managed...

Some chruches do well with direct.. some do better with amps etc...

5. RSJ4STRING

RSJ4STRING

Aug 24, 2007
    i would recommend a bass pod xt or i prefer an aguilar db924 preamp.

6. pbrawner

pbrawner

May 18, 2011
    We don't have monitors(aviom), have two subs on floor plus mains overhead in center of sanctuary. Was set up by professional sound company. Good system. Don't know what other information is needed. We have different players with different guitars.

7. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    The point is:

IF you have Stage monitors or in ear systems you could use the Sans amp mentioned and the house system could feed your bass back to a stage monitor or aviom system and you would not need an AMP. You need to know if the sound system can send you some type of monitor mix to hear yourself.

If thats not the case...........then you need an AMP.

8. pbrawner

pbrawner

May 18, 2011
    looking at digitech bp 355 or Tech 21 Sansamp Bass drive...which is better quality?

9. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    The sansamps are really rugged. I have used mine for years and it is always in my bag in just in case my amp ever failed during a gig.

10. jdlwareagle

jdlwareagle

Nov 13, 2005
    Mobile , AL
    +1 on the Sansamp . My church gig is very similar to yours described ( PA , Aviom ) . bass - tuner pedal - Sansamp - PA .

11. MNAirHead

You're comparing 2 different tools for the job... for a church.. easy, reliable, and controllable are the factors.. not "what's cool"

12. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    The Sans Amp works well if you want to mess with the tone. If you want to leave it along, I find that the Radial Pro48 and J48 sound a little more "nuanced".

13. MNAirHead

Careful on the Radials.. some require phantom power..

Many churches with volunteer sound crews do not allow phantom.

14. HertzWhenIPlay

HertzWhenIPlay

Jan 15, 2011
    I like things that go BOOM
    some good advice posted above...
    the answer to your original question "do [you] need to run your bass guitar thru a compressor..." is no, not necessarily.

15. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    In that case a BassBone or PZ-Pre.