Bass trills?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by (hed)-less, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Hey there, being a bass player who is mainly into extreme metal I was trying to figure out how to play 'Stripped, Raped and Strangled' by Cannibal Corpse (sorry if the title offends anyone!) and I was able to get most of it down with ease - until I noticed a riff that just stumped me. If you have heard the song I will try to describe, two high notes that both guitars and the bass do towards the beginning of the song before the vocals kick in. It sounds like two hand tapping but very rapid and inhumanly fast! I couldnt get my head around it so I asked a guitarist friend and he said 'ah well, thats just a trill' which I know the term and musically what one is - but I have no idea how to produce one on the bass and how to go about doing it...does any one have any suggestions? :bassist:
  2. All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    essetially a trill is this

h = hammer on
    p = pull-off

do the hammer on and pulll offs as fast as you can to get the right effect
    (this is only for dsemonstration, make sure to use the appropriate note adjust ment for the song you are playing)

If you want a good example of a trill listen to Black Sabbath's "Black Sabbath"
  3. To the guitar that is... and even if you don't want to listen to a good example of a trill.... listen to Black Sabbath anyways.
  4. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    i second the listening to black sabbath.
  5. i third that - sabbath for all :D - cheers for the trill advice, much appreciated!
  6. The_Corinthian

Jan 24, 2003
    The trill in Stripped is done Billy Sheehan style - you hammer on with your left finger, pull of, and then tap the same fret with your right, then pull off, and repeat. This enables greater speed with less effort.
    You can see Alex is using this technique if you watch Live Cannibalism or 15 year killing spree DVD.
  7. ahh i understand now! cheers for that mate - yeh i suspected thats what he was doing on 'Live Cannibalism' but wasn't 100% sure as the camera doesn't focus on webster much and theres some dude in the crowd in the way when hes doing the trill ..doh! haha...cheers for that
  8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Another easy and common type is to hold a fret with left hand, and then trill by hammering/pulling on the appropriate higher fret with the right hand index and middle. This also sounds good for drawn-out crescendo-endings, by sliding up the neck with both hands while doing this.