Bass up for auction at Skinners

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by accokeek88, Jun 10, 2021.

1. accokeek88

accokeek88

Sep 27, 2017
  2. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    It looks like they have a lot of violins/cellos etc in the mid-to-low price range in this auction. They may have bought a dealer/repair shop that went out of business (see the pernambucco bow blanks etc). They have Mr Sachner's Pfretzschzner and Dolling bows up for sale, too. His bass and bows were obviously of professional quality and the instrument is probably under-valued because of its condition. If you get it for $3-5K, expect to put that much into it in repairs... but the bass could very well be worth it.

3. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I would presume that a professional would take his bass to a professional luthier for repairs, so maybe the crack(s) near the bass bar, and whatever is going on with the endblock, aren't cause for concern. It'd be nice to see the inside though. There must be a lot of cleats in there.

4. accokeek88

accokeek88

Sep 27, 2017
    Thank you.
    I haven't got a bass yet ( jazz guitar ) and am really attracted to this bass
    What with shipping and the inability to see the bass in person ( 3000 miles )
    probably means it isn't meant to be

bassmanbrent likes this.
  5. Keith Rawlings

Keith Rawlings

Aug 3, 2019
    That bass is beat to hell. It definitely needs some help from a luthier.

james condino likes this.
  6. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    A lot of great sounding pro basses look every bit as messed as this one. A guy may get this bass cheap and play it for years with minimal repair. Or pull a Ken Smith and spend a King’s ransom fixing everything.

Shachner may of been one of the NBC bassists yelled at by Toscanini. Who knows maybe this bass was also yelled at by the great maestro. That’s the problem with auctions, you can’t ask the owner important questions. Like, did you play this bass in the NBC orchestra?, is it on the recordings, did it stand beside Zimmerman, was this a main bass or your third one out the door? etc.

Eric Hochberg and AGCurry like this.
  7. accokeek88

accokeek88

Sep 27, 2017
    Actually,I think he is still with us..

LittleJon1 and Keith Rawlings like this.
  8. That Kurt Dölling bow could also be a huge steal. Those bows play phenomenally and I got mine for triple the max price listed there. Granted it is hard to tell the condition of the bow from one picture (not to mention the playability), but if I were in the US and needed another bow I would definitely place a bid on that. Needless to say, I have no affiliation with the seller

Silver-mounted Contrabass Bow | Skinner, Inc.

9. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    Well, if you could get it for the current bid of $1500, it COULD be worth a gamble - even w/ shipping. It COULD be a very nice bass and it likely has the possibility of being a VERY nice bass - depending on what work is needed. But if the bid gets much higher, I'd suggest you be able to find any number of well-used carved basses near you that you could test drive, rather than buying sight unseen.

Maybe part of the reason it attracts you is because it is unlikely you will actually get it. One can always daydream about an unrequited crush, without acknowledging the true cost ($, effort and time) required to make it happen! ;)

Sam Sherry likes this.
  10. That’s a nasty bass bar crack. Not something a new player should get involved with.

Too bad. it’s a very handsome instrument.

Keith Rawlings likes this.
  11. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    It is not just the bassbar crack. That bass is a show model to demonstrate every possible repair that you might need. 'More like buying an old vw van with 400,000 miles on it that happens to be working while the owner is standing next to it crossing their fingers.....

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  12. accokeek88

accokeek88

Sep 27, 2017
    Thank you for all these valuable insights. As to my attraction to this bass, I really think the lines, shape and overall volume of it are very attractive. Today I found out they don't take credit cards so this will be a deal breaker for me; maybe not so unfortunately..
    I also just today found out about a Juzek a friend of mine has in West Virginia, so now I'm onto researching those basses and the most cost effective ( cheap ) way of getting it to San Diego.

james condino likes this.
  13. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    karr9.jpg
    Good luck and enjoy the search!

14. Eesh, sold for 9k
    And the bow for 2.7k

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021 at 6:51 PM
  15. garrett2

garrett2 Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    The Prescott sold for $4250.

16. Church bass though

garrett2 likes this.
  17. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I had a $400 bid on the 3 German bows, and they went for $1600. The prices rocketed in the last hour or so -- as the pros came in with deep pockets.

18. Same with the Dolling, my cutoff was 1k, saw.it zoom up to 2.7 today

19. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oh welll... :)

20. accokeek88

accokeek88

Sep 27, 2017
    I'm going to miss staring at that bass. Still, compare prices of basses to violins and it's a joke.
    9 K really isn't going to get you much of a violin. Orchestra players would laugh at these numbers.
    I guess the cost of the work that may go into that bass will quite possibly eclipse the sale price.
    At least, that's what I keep telling myself as I'm now going after a far less expensive bass and hope to be happy with it.Farewell to the old bass with a long story to go with it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021