1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass VI Manufacturers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thedukeofno, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Hey folks...

Lately I've been GAS-ing for a Fender Bass VI, but they're not the most common things around, at least here in the UK. So, I'm starting to think I need to look at the offerings of other brands.

Other than Squier and Schecter, which manufacturers are producing a "Bass VI"-like model?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I think Eastwood does or has recently. Rondo has occasionally offered some suitable 30" scale baritones, but I don't see any right now.

Edit: Eastwood currently has 2:
    Sidejack Bass VI
    TB64 6-String Bass

I have the Sidejack, it's pretty nice. :)

thedukeofno and HaphAsSard like this.
  3. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    They're gearing up for the new Hooky Bass 6 PRO (Shergold Marathon copy, Peter Hook signature) as well:
    Hooky Bass 6 PRO – Eastwood Custom Guitars

Here in the Old World, the most affordable are Thomann Music's Harley Benton GuitarBass VS linked to above, and Gear4Music's SubZero Rogue VI Baritone:
    SubZero Rogue VI Baritone Electric Guitar, Tobacco Sunburst at Gear4music
    Bass VI type thing

If given the choice you'd prefer the Squier VI, but can't find it locally, have a look at the big box online stores (Thomann, Gear4Music, Music Store/DV247, Musik Produktiv, Bax Music, Woodbrass, Kytary), in both the bass and guitar sections.

Revelation RJT-60 B:
    Revelation RJT60B 6 String Electric Bass
    What else? Well Ibanez still makes (AFAIK; let's say they're still around in stores) the SRC6:
    Ibanez SRC6-WNF SRcrossover 6-String Electric Bass for sale | Bax Music
    Burns Barracuda:
    Barracuda (Guards Red)
    Gretsch G5265 Electromatic Jet Baritone:
    Gretsch G5265 Electromatic Jet Baritone, Black Sparkle at Gear4music
    And of course the original:
    Danelectro 56 Baritone guitar for sale | Bax Music

In case we've missed any of the currently-available offerings, double-check yourself (backwards from the top results/last pages):
    The Short-Scale Six-String Club Part 4 - for the original six-string basses!
    bass vi alternatives site:talkbass.com - Google Search

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    kirillstokes, thedukeofno and bholder like this.
  4. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK

vvvmmm, thedukeofno and HaphAsSard like this.
  5. len13

len13

Jan 3, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    thedukeofno likes this.
  6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Definitely still in production as of late last year as my 2019 labelled unit was delivered in October. According to the Oz distributor, they're only made for a few months of the year so stocks may ebb and wane.

Much nicer than the Fenders.

HaphAsSard and thedukeofno like this.
  7. Damn... that is nice!

I also just found out about the Reverend Descent, which is interesting because it’s 26-3/4. Might be too small, but probably worth a test drive.

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Good grief, they know how to charge. That's over 4x what I paid for both SRC6s combined.
    And I hate that Lakland oval bridge.

9. Wes K

Wes K

Apr 30, 2011
    Louisville KY
    HaphAsSard likes this.
  10. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    I have one of the Revelation VI's (and an RTF60) and absolutely love it, as do the guitarists in my band.

Total rush to play as a bassist, and cool as a guitar also (I'm a Cure fan). I did have to work the fret ends on the Jazzmaster-type; the VI came - all the way from Ye Merry Olde - perfectly set-up.

For a while, CITES was a issue, even led to a seller refunding me the price of a second RTF60, but I see they are available here (USA) again at the usual sites, altho' with big shipping charges.

11. Donnix82

Donnix82

Nov 26, 2016
    I recently purchased the Classic Vibe Bass VI. It is black with a tortoiseshell pick guard, period correct headstock markings and vintage gloss tint. I didn’t want a sunburst model so I got the black with tortoiseshell which I was not a fan of in the past but I actually really like that combination now. I think it plays great for the price point and looks identical to a 1966 era bass vi, pearloid blocks and binding, 3 on/off switches and a bass strangle switch. If you want a fender vi the only other new option would be a four grand version from the custom shop. You can find the Mexican pawn shop ones on reverb, eBay etc if you don’t mind paying 6-8 hundred dollars.

12. I love it but I guess I would need pick to play one of these?

13. Jack Bruce didn't.

bholder likes this.
  14. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Nope.

15. I couldn't find an off-the-shelf Bass VI that I liked, so I ordered a Warmoth body and neck and built my own...

20190425_161907.jpg

vickerekes, bholder and Spupilup like this.
  16. Spupilup

Spupilup

Jan 11, 2019
    It probably has none of the problems inherent in the cheap Squier Bass VI versions. I had a VM that needed everything from a bridge replacement to shimming the neck and a whole host of other repairs just to get it to a point where it was playable. That Fender/Squier would release such a poorly executed design on the public is unforgivable. From what I've seen, the Pawn Shop version had most of the same problems found in the Indonesian Squier.

That horrible bridge that came standard on the VM and Pawnshop made it impossible to properly intonate the instrument. There simply was not enough room to move the saddles. The standard alternative, the Stay Trem is no longer available here in the US. That leaves one with the expensive Mastery bridge (worth almost as much as the Bass VI itself) or an early '60's Mustang bridge. The ridiculous gauge strings were also impossible. Whenever I read about TI Flats being FLOPPY all I can say is try to play a stock Pawnshop or Squier Bass VI with those absurd .084 E strings falling off the fretboard. What was Fender thinking???

To anyone interested in a Bass VI variant, proceed with caution when heading down the path laden with Fenders and Squiers. Some people have been lucky (or don't really know how out of whack their instrument really is) or have effectively solved the inherent deficiencies present from the start. Either way, I'd advise just about anyone to stay away from the Fender/Squier VM and Pawn. I can't speak directly about the newer CV but given that the product is actually a few bucks cheaper than the VM, expectations for improvement have to be guarded.

17. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    music man silhouette bass is very well made and can get a variety of sounds with the coil tappable phase selectable humbuckers
    instrument-20.png
    929EE08D-E780-4BF2-90E6-D303DB391AC3.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    HaphAsSard and vickerekes like this.
  18. rocu

rocu

Jan 28, 2015
    Missoula, MT
    Question about six stringers - does anyone tune them in fourths all the way across? I've thought about one but hate the idea of the high B string.