1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass without soundpost

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Fredrik E. Nilsen, Mar 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I just borrowed an old (carved, Romanian or something) double bass from a friend. After a couple of hours I noticed there was no soundpost inside (and no noticeable marks or anything). Asked my friend, but he had no idea. Is it possible that it should be like this? The bass sound just fine anyway.

2. Not on a carved bass unless you use loose rubber band strings or the bridge is really low (low string bending angle on the bridge).
    The top might get damaged (or sink down at best) if there is no soundpost installed. Repair of a (carved) top can get rather expensive.
    But that's just the initial warning what might happen.

I'm sure the luthiers will give you a better comment than me, but you should at least be warned as quickly as possible.

3. According to the owner it has been like this since he bought it (several years ago). The action it actually very high, and the strings are heavier than i'm used to. Better get it to the repairman. :)

Jake deVilliers likes this.
  4. Yeah, the sooner the better.

I'm surprised it's not wolfing like crazy...or in pieces.

5. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Structurally, no soundpost on an old carved bass is not a good idea. Tonally you will have a lot more focused sound with it installed correctly. There is a reason the word for soundpost in Italian is anima, " the soul".

j.
    www.condino.com
    www.kaybassrepair.com

KUNGfuSHERIFF likes this.
  6. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Loosen the strings immediately. Take it to a bass luthier immediately. A bass without a sound post is a box waiting to collapse.

Fredrik E. Nilsen likes this.