Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass X-Citer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PinkFloydJunky, Nov 5, 2003.

1. I have seen these in so many magazines, but, yet have had the chance to try one out...Has anyone out there tired one, and are they any good??

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have been wondering if someone like myself could benefit from one of those? I play with a 1x12 combo amp and usually in fairly low volume situations (playing with acoustic instruments) I swap between my electric and my ABG. I have been searching the threads for the Aphex unit and the Sansamp and wondering about the usefulness of either one.

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I recently purchased an Aphex 104 type C2. I like it alot. I use it with an Eden D410XLT.

Right away I noticed that the lowest of my lows sounded tighter, clearer. They also sounded bigger. Kinda hard to describe, but it was a more full sound without being muddy and chunky. It also made my highs sound more defined, and crisp as well. If you are able to pick one of these up in the $75, I think you should. I am going to kepe mine in my rack, and always use it from now on.

-Mike

5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I ordered one off ebay for 139.00 including shipping. Should be here in 3 days. I will post the results of use with a low end amp.

6. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    So I was at the store today and tried it.
    -Niiiice !

Really, I was blown away at the balls this unit added to the basses I tried it with : an EDA905 and some Modulus I couldn't even see the name of, so much the price tag was blinding me... :( . I was playing through an Eden rig.
    In any case, I find it hard to describe it otherwise : all of a sudden, the balls of the basses just increased in size. -The lows sounded much fatter, yet more precise. And diddo for the trebble.

So I immediatly thought I should sell a kidney and buy one.
    But then I wondered : I went and grabbed a SA Bass Driver/DI unit, and tested it side by side with the Bass Exciter. And honnestly, if you just cut the Driver and Presence knobs on the SA all the way, put the Bass and Trebble ones at 12:00, then slowly increase the Bass control, you get pretty much the same effect that the Aphex unit does...

So I do believe it's a good unit. But maybe useless when you already own the SA.
    Add the keeley Comp that I use (see related thread on that one), and I can do all that the Aphex does, and a lot more.
    Still excellent for the buck I thought, if all you want is a ballsier tone.