Basses that surprisingly impressed everyone at a gig/practice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassBuzzRS, Sep 5, 2010.

1. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Have you ever had or have a bass that you're testing out or just feel unsure about taking to a gig? And when you do, all are blown away by the sound and the fit with the band? I have a bass like that, and it's my Westone "the Rail" headless 4-string bass. It looks like a weird/cool bass toy, but actually works 100%. (can move the pickup for insane versatility)

Over the years I have brought to band practice many different basses (Pedulla, Warwicks, Fenders etc) but every time I bring this bass it totally blows us away because it sounds so good, with definition and punch and a tiny bit of old school sound.

Anyway, do you have a bass like that?

Pic of mine:
    bf247ec8.gif

2. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    hmmm. That is interesting. So much for the discussion of the importance of tone wood.

Bob

3. dmonroe

dmonroe

Jun 16, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    This was one of those ideas (the movable pickup) that seemed like a really good concept that for whatever reason just never really caught on. I think it will again one day in a more traditional looking bass. That may be part of why it it did not catch on then. Kind of a sensory overload thing with the headless design, movable pickup and just the overall look in general. Too many things going on at once.

4. Phantasm

Phantasm I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Sep 16, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I had one of those, I bought it for $25. It was my first bass. However, the bolts at the nut to hold the strings down for tuning stripped and I pitched it.

It was so long ago I can't even remember if it did sound good!

5. ((KamiKaZe))

((KamiKaZe))

Aug 5, 2010
    how did you play that weird thing lol

6. A few years back, my Rob Allen Mouse 30 impressed the heck out of anyone and made it easy to get gigs.

7. That thing is so completely bitchen I don't even know where to start. If you ever sell it, sell it here on TB.

8. Time for a tone plastic discussion?

9. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    SUPER COOL BASS!!!

10. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    25 3/4" scale fiver, tuned to pitch.
    MiddlinPanorama.jpg

mech

11. Jones_Stuff

Jones_Stuff

Nov 26, 2009
    Leicester, UK
    ^, How can you even begin to remember what that cluster of nobs do? :D

12. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    I played a Jazz Bass through GK amps for several years, so the band was used to that sound.

One day, I walked in with an cheap-azz Ibanez SR and a Marshall amp. The GK had blown up the previous day, and I was getting the Jazz set up.

I sounded good.

13. RTL

RTL Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I can give you a much longer list of basses I thought would work great in a mix... But didn't.

14. people always seem drawn to this
    3647160251_bf1a51433d_b.jpg

15. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    Nice. I Also love the rail, always fancied one of those.

16. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa

These basses look cool and are total tone machines!! If you dig the "Status" sound you will dig this bass. I regrettably traded mine away a while back and I have been gassing for another one ever since.

17. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I have a fretted and a fretless Wishbass and everytime I take one to a rehearsal or performance I get great responses about the looks and the sound. Well, mostly the sound. They really have a wonderful warm sound.

18. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    I've been realizing lately how much I enjoy the sound of certain relatively cheap combo amps. Especially when paired with the right bass. I've been playing my Landing with Darkstars through my 15w Crate guitar combo (at low volumes, of course), and I LOVE the plucky, somewhat flat tone. I'd love to get a rig that sounded that way for live performances. Maybe with microphones?

And the sliding rail pickup idea is not a particularly space-age one: Alembic tried just such a design for one of their customers in the 60's. Maybe for Jack Casady? I think it makes a lot of sense.

19. boriology101

boriology101

Feb 19, 2008
    OREGON
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the bad quality picture. People obviously didn't know what instrument it was... and, actually, they thought it's a Korean imported no-name brand. This is the only bass even non-bass related people came to me and said that it sounded terrific.

20. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Had been playing J basses forever.
    Took a Stingray to rehearsal one night and liked the way it sat in the mix; the live to 2-track recording backed it up; that was about 4 months ago and am dealing with the weak G string as the mid bump really works in the mix; Jazz is more fun by itself though

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021