Basses with wenge necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I really like the feel of a wenge neck. Are there any other brands besides Warwick and Ibanez that offer some basses with wenge necks? (or wenge in combination with maple/bubinga).
  2. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I know some people that know some people...... :D
  3. Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    Lots of custom basses do. My Warrior has a wenge/purpleheart neck, and most custom makers will do them. In addition, the more popular MTDs have wenge necks.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I was thinking non custom, since i cant afford it really. Any production bases?
  5. matos

Nov 25, 2004
    My father made me a bass with a wenge neck. It's nice and it sounds fantastic.

More pics on
  6. The Conklin Groove Tools series come with a Wenge neck with Purpleheart stringers and a Purpleheart fretboard. Very nice IMO. With the custom line, you can get wut eva you want. :D
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I was really impressed when i played the Ibanez SR3000E today. If it wasnt for my lack of liking of the Ibanez brand in general, id really want it :-/ I find myself wishing Spector made a bass with a wenge/bubinga neck... The Ibanez was really great. It costs $1000 ish new, $600-$700 used....
  8. JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    I have a Tobias post-Gibson takeover that has a wenge/flame maple neck with a wenge fingerboard. It plays really nice and has as sweet tone. I believe the new ones they sell are of the same ilk (Toby Pro, etc.). But, as far as quality goes, I like the wood but the electronics are a little whimpy. Swap with a couple of Barts and a Bart pre and you are set! (IMO)
  9. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    You can get parts from Warmoth to make your own with wenge necks.
  10. My cort B5 has a wenge neck, love it.
  11. Cort Artisian B series have wenge necks. I have a B4 fretless... nothing beats the wenge neck and mohagony body, a perfect combonation.
  12. You beat me to it.
  13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im not too fond of Corts, but thanks for the idea, i noticed them before but didnt mention it since i dont really like them. And as for Tobias, i dotn really have faith in the post-gibson ones, but thanks as well.

Sigh, oh well , guess i wont be getting a wenge necked bass :p, unless i got the Ibanez SR3000E, which is a nice bass.
  14. Note that the Artisian is nothing like a Curbow. At all.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the Tobias...
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im just not fond of Cort in general, not sure why. :<
  16. Maybe you should rethink. The Artisian B series are a lot like a cross between a Warwick and an Ibanez SR500.
  17. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It looks so similiar to the SR3000E, id rather just go with the Ibanez, since ive played it and enjoy it. But i dont think ill wind up with either.
  18. How much are the 3000E's? I've been hearing a lot of buzz around them lately...
  19. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    $1000 ish new, can be had used for $600-$700.
  20. Bah. Too much... I guess I'll just buy a Cort B4 fretted...