1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bassist living in appartment daily issues

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by miguel master, Jan 6, 2012.

1. So as I posted im living in an appartment and my upstairs neighbor is an issue.he Works 3rd shift and I can't play at normal ours of the day becous he sleeps those hours. Just had the cops called on me for the 3rd time in 1 month frame time.

Anyways.
    What would be some good solutions so I could enjoy playing and not bother them?

Its bad since today I just bought my source audio bef and hot hand and now i can't enjoy them

I need some help here.

2. HometownLetdown

HometownLetdown

Sep 14, 2011
    Headphones would be the easiest answer

3. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    How loud are you playing? If you're at a reasonable volume, the cops can't do much between certain hours. Or just get some headphones...

4. ryansalmond

ryansalmond

Nov 21, 2007
    Canada
    Since this is the effects forum, I presume you're asking us because you want to know which effects would be best to destroy your neighbour's hearing, thus deafening him and preventing further problems. For this purpose I think the Empress MultiDrive looks pretty cool, and the SansAmp Character series have tonnes of output.

5. I'm playing at 4 on my fender rumble 30watt.

Cop told me he has no ground on what to do since I'm playing at good hours but the issue is community rules.
    They are the issues.

6. Sorry. I did just notice that.
    Big derp on my part.
    I fail.....

7. ripman3

ripman3

Dec 30, 2009
    Spelling and wrong thread selection. The answer is obvious, turn down or get headphones. /endthread

8. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

May 9, 2011
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Why don't you ask management if you can move to a different unit or just move out all together.

9. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    I'm not surprised he's pissed, turning it down would be a good start. I share a house and even on a 15w rumble I keep the volume under 2 so it doesn't piss everybody else off, otherwise headphones are the only option.

10. Headphones! And please don't move out because of a neighbour, unless things are really ugly. Maybe he should move out.

11. koipond

koipond

Dec 8, 2011
    los angeles, ca
    Bass is probably the 2nd worst instrument to play in apartments, drums being first, because the low frequencies carry so well. I'd wear headphones like hometown suggested. It would suck real bad if the cops confiscated your gear, and you'd keep the peace with your neighbor.

12. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

When faced with something similar, I bought a Behringer headphone amp (40$ new) to help boost the sound in a pair of headphones I had lying around. Did it for me.

13. Greatly appreciated guys. Sorry again I'm in the wrong area for posting this.
    I guess I'm playing on 1 from now on.
    I need to get headphones too.

14. pedals into a cheap mixer or something like the bass-pod with headphones.

15. While at home, learning new parts & material and writing for the instrument, i haven't practiced through an amp in my 40 years of playing. Playing acoustically in a home setting gives you a tremendous sense of touch and subtlety, and makes the amp on gigs seem to come alive in a different way. Try it, you might like the difference.

16. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    I always play between the 0 and 1 area, but what I do sometimes is put my 120 watt combo on a metal chair and cock it back on two legs so the vibrations of the amp don't travel as much through the floor. I try to be as considerate as possible because I know what it's like to be disturbed with a 200+ lb. chick living above me exercising at 3:00 in the morning. I can't wait till I can get my own house...

17. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    This too. Definitely gives you alot more control over dynamics, fret noise, buzz, clack, etc. I used to practice getting precise note definition with as little noise and soft touch as possible to avoid disturbing my roommates at night; improved my playing tremendously. I now prefer to practice acoustically than through an amp any day.

18. beefandbones

beefandbones

Aug 14, 2008
    Seattle
    Yes, headphones are the easiest solution.

Does your apartment complex have guidelines about quiet hours? Most do. If you're playing within those guidelines, your neighbor should be calling the manager, not the cops. If he is causing trouble for you when you're living within your building's guidelines, you have a reasonable complaint to take to the manager. If your neighbor calls the cops on you, call the manager immediately and get him involved. Document HIS behavior. You may be able to get your neighbor evicted this way, particularly if no one else has complained about your playing. (This is a sensitive issue for me - I used to have a downstairs neighbor who complained to the manager constantly that I was walking around - WALKING AROUND - in my apartment. She complained about me rearranging furniture in the middle of the day on a holiday. She even complained about me bathing!)

However, yeah, the easiest thing to do is use headphones.

19. pengyou40

pengyou40

Dec 2, 2010
    Hi, by community rules, do you mean some quiet hour rules specified in your lease? Or do you mean that the other tenants rule the apartment complex by way of bullying people?

Have you tried suggesting the guy use earplugs to sleep? He is the one with the weird schedule...not you. Why should you have to live like a prisoner because he sleeps in the day? Tell him that quiet hours don't start until night time, and that he can use earplugs if he needs quiet.

I worked for more than one year doing graveyard shift. I had to sleep in the day. I did it with earplugs and never once asked my neighbors to be quiet in the daytime. Ridiculous.

20. Headphones: shaboom.

:bassist:

Under $30, always highly rated, great bass, and you can pick them up at Best Buy if you want them today.

They even come with a 1/4" adapter! You can crank it up 'til your ears bleed and your neighbor will be sound asleep.