Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassists that 'Mess Up' Live

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FunkMachine, Aug 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FunkMachine

FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    Dubai
    Have you ever seen a 'famous' bassist completely cock up on stage?

I know its easy for me to mess up live, but Im rather good at covering it up if it happens these days.

No one famous in particular comes to mind, but im wondering if there are any famous bassists out there with 'bad track records' at live gigs.

2. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Marcus Miller's band had some problems one night. Not him, just the band. It took a few songs for them to get "in sync". Hey, it happens!

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Me, but I guess I'm not really famous. :D

brad cook

4. FunkMachine

FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    Dubai
    There have been a few times when playing live that I'll accidentally play the wrong riff, or try a fill that turns out being bogus..

How do you guys 'cover up' your mistakes?

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I've seen Victor Wooten mess up several times.

Mistakes are a part of being a musician, what matters is how you deal with them.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    definitely victor! everytime I've seen him play he 'messes up', but he's really good at rebounding from mistakes, so it never detracts from the show.

7. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    When I saw Primus a while back the whole show was perfect, except for when Les was playing the intro to Fish On. He hit what was obviously a very wrong note, and instead of just moving on and skipping the note he missed, he slid that wrong note all the way up the neck of his fretless, went "Whoops!" and then hit the right note and played the rest of the song.

I thought it was a great, humorous recovery to a bad bad mistake.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I went to see the Rippingtons once and in the song 'Curves Ahead' there is usually a quick slap bass solo and this was one of those times where he totally sucked! He and Russ sorta looked at each other and shrugged!

9. SciFiGuy

SciFiGuy

Dec 27, 2003
    Madison, IN
    When I saw the Classic Yes concert in Chicago they had to start "America" three times to get in sync.

I seem to remember seeing Rush in the early 90s and Geddy sang the same verse twice during "Closer to the Heart".

If no one messed up, what would be the point of seeing them live?

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  11. Adam Clayton plays a few wrong notes on U2's "Rattle & Hum" album, during the song they do together with Bob Dylan ("Love Rescue Me").

12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I saw The Who in 1980 from the front row, Entwistle was right in front of me! At the first part of the concert, his right hand seemed a little stiff. He'd look back at Kenney Jones and smirk, it was so cool. About three songs into the show, he was warmed up and blazing! He looked so at ease onstage. It was one of the best concerts I've seen. :)

13. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    I've seen Vic mess up a few times, all minor mishaps, except onces where his tapping on A Night In Tunisia just wasn't going in sync at all - a lot of dead notes and off-rythyms. It quickly fell back in line, but it was kinda painful there for a few seconds.

14. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    If you don't mess up live, you're not a bassist. You're a sequencer. ;)

Off the top of my head, I've seen Danny Lohner of NIN screw up a touch, but that's only because Trent Reznor was slamming into him at the time. :D Pete Steele of Type O Negative has hit some bad ones, but manages to turn them into beautiful feedback. Hell, even John Myung, who I'd classify as a "machine" hits the occasional clam.

The top story I've ever heard comes from Mike Keneally's bassist Bryan Beller, who writes about one of his first gigs with MK back on New Year's Eve of 1993. Reading about it, however, it's more than understandable;

"...Keneally was changing forms on the fly, extending sections that I thought had no business being extended, changing his part so much as to be unrecognizable—and differently every time. These guys were clearly operating at another level, and while they were as encouraging as they could be, I simply didn't know how to get there yet.

It showed in the performances. One was in a ballroom—the Catamaran, I believe—and the other was in this gigantic airplane hangar that was mostly empty. I tried my best to hang in there, but I was exposed on the simplest song: "The Car Song," of all things. The coda has a section where you groove in D minor for a certain number of bars before switching over to D major to take the song home. I was so focused on making sure that Toss didn't throw me off the beat—because he was ****ing with the meter like crazy—that I automatically switched tonalities at the same point as the recorded version. Well, I wasn't looking at or listening to Keneally, because if I had been, I'd have heard him clearly stay put in D Minor. I went to D major anyway, and wondered for nearly 20 bars why everything sounded so ****ed up. In what must have seemed like an eternity, Keneally waited for me to catch on and switch back to D minor before giving me the cue I should have been looking for all along. To make matters worse, it was the show closer.

Neither of us left that night feeling like any magic had occurred."
    :help:

Yet over 10 years later, they've worked on over 15 "projects" (full-length albums, tribute album tracks, other people's albums, etc..) so it goes to show you.

A major screw-up on your first gig won't necessarily kill your chances at the gig. You might even make a career because/in spite of it. :D

15. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I seen incubus recently and Kenney hit the actual fretwire a couple times. His performance MORE, MORE, MORE than made up for it. It was dark as sheeit anyway when it happened.

16. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    At a King's X show in San Francisco (maybe around 2000?), Doug Pinnick started playing the riff to one song and then stopped at least twice, and had to retune - he uses alternate tunings and forgot which tuning he used for that song!!!

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Since you're going by "Funk Machine"-
    ...from my readings, Jamerson was told to tone down his thing 'cause the road bassists for the various Motown acts were unable to pull off his lines. That may have been interesting to hear(though I kinda doubt the paying customers noticed anything different).

18. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    I've seen the former Incubus bassist totallly choke during a jam at one of their gigs,but it was weird because it was the singer who called out the jam suddenly and he just had to pull out a line quickly, the result was rather cheesy. :meh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.