1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassists who use distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hieronymous, Mar 29, 2004.

1. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Man, totally +1!!!

~S~

PS: Wish I had a Pearce too...woulda/shoulda/coulda...maybe ???...

2. vashts80

vashts80

Aug 9, 2005
    I lose respect for people that lose respect for pick players. Steve DiGiorgio said it best:

"When speed/death metal was in its early days every band had drummers that could fly on double bass drums and guitarists that could pick so fast their hands looked blurry. But unless the bassist was using a pick the not-so-fleeting fingers trudged along half speed."

That's the exact truth. In any sub-genre of metal, if you listen to a lot of the earlier stuff you'll hear a pick slashing against the string instead of the bassier tone of fingers. Cliff and DiGiorgio and Harris and Trujillo and a lot of other people played/play with fingers, but don't diss pick players (specifically in metal) for playing with a pick.

It's one thing if it's in jazz where you're "supposed" to play with fingers, then I'd say "okay, his lines aren't that difficult but he plays with a pick, what's the deal?" but I still wouldn't be all like "OMGZORZ RESPECT LOST LOL"

I respect Newsted because he played balls to the wall with a pick. Playing with a pick is harder than it looks because playing with a pick for 2 and a half hours straight every night for two years takes it's toll on your hands, no doubt. Maybe it's just because of my computer use, but playing with a pick makes my hand hurt pretty badly after 15 minutes.

David Ellefson is a hell of a bassist, but when you're playing Holy Wars, it's kind-of hard with fingers, trust me. Pick playing is about tone and comfort. Pick playing is easier to notice as well, because if you take somebody playing one riff with a pick and then take somebody playing the same riff with fingers at the same volume, fingers will be lower.

I can ramble on here but I won't...people have to learn that pick playing was a must at one time because people had seemingly robotic legs that could pump out double bass for seemingly an hour straight and people had arms/hands that could make their hands look blurry.

3. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Christian Olde Wolbers and Byron Stroud of Fear Factory use alot of distortion. :bassist:

Shawn

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF

Jason was the heart and soul of that band from the minute he joined. Why? Because you could see in his playing and his attitude what he was about. That dude was given more **** than any bass player deserves (especially one at his level- watch that pathetic excuse for a flick Metallica: Some Kind of Monster and see what really took place), and still managed to make it happen for years. When I saw him last summer on Ozzfest, with Voivod, then later on in the evening with Ozzy, people were cheering as loud for him as they were for Oz himself! And in the Voivod signature line, the other guys left b/c everyone was just talking to Jason. I got the meet the guy and talk to him for a few minutes, and he was as real a-mega star as you'd ever meet. Zakk was over a table or so, and was throwing stuff around trying to wrestle Jason on the ground, etc.., acting all dumb. Jason was cool, calm, collected and talked to every fan with sincere interest. He was the only reason I stayed with 'tallica as long as I did, and was a helluva lot better bass player than their ex-third guitarist. When James says about Cliff, "I couldn't believe what he was playing was even bass, not some funked up weird guitar", I have a hard time seeing you as a "bass" player... And Trujillo? The wannabe samurai whiskey monkey thing crap? Please. James should've stayed away.

5. you forgot major thirds

6. vincent69

vincent69 Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    Jimmy Fernandez from The God Machine ! A major influence for me.
    He played an all black a Fender Jazz Bass through an Ampeg SVT II Pro,with an 8x10" cabinet.
    R.I.P.

The only made two LP's, the second came out after his death...

"scenes from the second storey" and "one last laugh in a place of dying..."

Listen to the first song "dream machine". It begins with a distorted (Digitech PDS-1550) bass !

The rest is just pure rock with a lot of energy and rhythm.

7. Eh? Which two songs? I know one was My Friend Of Misery, which was a good song, but what else?

8. Gilian24

Gilian24

May 23, 2010
    Blackened?

9. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Paul Barker wrote the book of HUGE industrial tones!

Plus, I gotta give a +1 to Dave Edwardson. As a bonus, both of them are two of the nicest guys you could EVER meet, and I'm proud to call both friend!

10. @hieronymous:ELECTRIC WIZARD!!! sorry, i got excited. love that band.:D

11. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
  12. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Jim Lea of Slade, he had built in distortion on his bass.

13. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    I guess I'll add myself to the list I have always had a distorted sound going as far back as I can remember. For years I ran Marshall Majors and SVTS together. I still have that stuff but run Hiwatt most of the time these days. My first distortion was a Ibanez Tube Screamer bought when they first came out. In my pedal board now I have a Soviet Electro Harmonics Big Muff and a Ibanez Bass Tube Screamer.