1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassists who use distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hieronymous, Mar 29, 2004.

1. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    Orion uses synth and wah and some other effecs in the intro.

the part linking the first 2 riffs is bass, although some think it's guitar.
    The short solo after the big bend is bass. Theres 3 layers of bass there. Root notes of chords, finnishing of that nice bass line and the solo.
    Anesthesia, Seek n destroy, ktulu, bellz. These songs use distortion also no remorse uses it at the end i think.

2. yeah i knew that abark, just in my rage i just couldn't be bothered to mention, different to see me on the other side hey :p heres a pic of and instrument i wouldnt like to hold, just for the plain fact i couldnt play it

3. almost 2 am...thursday

4. Malcom

Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    Brian Gibson of Lightning Bolt is distorted as all get out.

Tom from Cheap Trick uses guitar amps and, as a result, has a nice buzz to his bass.

5. BMGecko

BMGecko

Sep 5, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Joey DeMaio from Manowar.

'Nuff said!

6. The track that immediately comes to mind is Bryan Beller's playing on "Why Am I Your Guy?" from Mike Keneally & Beer For Dolphin's "Sluggo!" It was recorded via an SWR Intersteller Overdrive completely cranked, and the track is one long distorted solo. :D

His current method of recording is taking three tracks: direct, clean miked, and distorted miked, and either mixing or submixing the appropriate level of distortion for what the song calls for. His solo album and the last few Keneally recordings have been to die for, tone-wise.

7. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    LOL, Fieldy uses distorsion alot...

Cue Fieldy bashing...

NOW!

8. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    On a more serious note, I like to use alot of distorsion, and not just a lil grunge, I like to just tear the sound right apart.

Alot of people wont stand in front of my stack during a few of our songs, but everyone seems to like it in context of the music...

9. Jaco Pastorious used a HUGE fuzz effect from his Acoustic 360 amp. I mean, it was monstruous. He even used that on the Black Market album with Weather Report ...a true innovator in many respects.

10. Me, Dean Garcia of Curve and Steve George (?) of Swervedriver.

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    ME!

I've managed to get a tone that pleases me very much with a boss CS-3 into a Boss ODB-3. The trick is to boost the treble on the CS-3, and cut the treble on the ODB.

I keep the drive very low - just below the 'quack-zone' that ODBs are sort-of known for - but even with very little clipping (certainly no hard-clipping) the harmonics get rich and synth-y. Now just yesterday I bought a Boss CEB-3 chorus; now I'll be able to use it with the 'low filter' to pass the lower-freqs through untouched, but thicken-up that buzz-saw quack into something wonderful.

I'll rule the woooorrrrrrrrld!!!

Joe

(edit) Whoah - it just hit me that as of yeaterday I've spent more on my three effects pedals than I did for my BASS.
    (edit) I'll rule the woooorrrrrrrrld!!!

12. Eddie Jackson, Queensryche - more overdrive than distortion perhaps but check out Damaged on Promised Land, a great "ripped driver" effect creating the essential Farting bass sound :D

13. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    His PHAT compressed distorted touch wah tone was a killer. Ever noticed how the curve songs without it are actually a bit pants?

14. I'm sorry, but I have to step in and teach you a few lessons. I agree, he is better than all the Dream Theatre members put together. Why? Because Dream Theatre doesn't exist. Spell it right. Dream Theater. John Myung could do anything that guy did plus some with his eyes closed. He had all the speed plus some of Cliff.

And then you dare to say he had more jazz chops than Jaco Pastorius? Wake up, you're a dreamy fanboy. Burton played metal for a reason: because it's what he did best. Bottom line. You can compaire him to metal bassists on his calibre, yes, he is a good one, but don't pull in the big dogs because you will be put to shame. Listen to Myung's two hand tapping solo on Metropolis Pt. 1 and cry in shame.

15. BlackBass9

BlackBass9

Dec 4, 2004
    Come on Guys, it's getting old. Cliff Burton was a Great Bass player, even if you don't like his music, style, or solos, just give him the credit he deserves.

and by the way Fieldy uses the Clink Clang Klunk distortion on most of his songs.

and stuff.

16. Agreed!
    His lines on the song "crystal" epitomises everything I loved about his playing, tone, and my love of fuzz.

17. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    The new NIN single, The Hand that Feeds has a great distorted/fuzz tone. Don't know if its Jeordie White or Trent but it sounds cool. Wolly Mammoth?

Robert Deleo had some great distorted tones IMO. Very overlooked bassist I think.

Not sure if any of you are familiar with The Rentals first album but the bass in that is way distorted. Way electro-pop.

Bass player in GlassJaw, don't know that chaps name.

Paulo Jr. Sepultura

All of the distorted bass on the Failure albums is great. Ken Andrews and Greg Edwards(I think) took turns.

18. Jeff O'Connor

Jeff O'Connor Gold Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Mystic, CT
    I use a Fulltone Fulldrive II(bass) and it sounds very warm, very natural.

Channel 1 for a nice overdrive and channel 2 to rip it a new one!

Check into 'em folks!
    :smug:

19. Rob DeLeo and Matt Sharp...two GREAT bass players. Great tasty lines and good tones. That first Rentals record is fantastic.

Friends of P and Waiting...great stuff.

20. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    "My Summer Girl" is my favorite. Not often do you hear pop in 5. Do think they used a Big Muff for the Bass?

I think Matt Sharp is great, dare I say he is what made Weezer a good band?

Sure wish Rob and Dean Deleo would step back into the scene a bit, guess they are producing and thats cool, but they write damn good songs.