1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassman TV 15 loud enough for gigs? Cab extensions possible?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Strat-Mangler, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    It's 350 watts pushed through a 1x15 speaker configuration.

With passive electronics (SX Jazz Bass), do you think this rig would be powerful enough for gigs?

Is it at all possible to get cab extensions for these guys?

Did you enjoy the sound?

Finally, any tube recommendations?

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Loud enough is subjective . . .

I don't believe you can add an extension cab with these b/c the internal speaker is already 4 ohms. However, there is a DI out so you could run it to the PA.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i loved the tv 15 when i tried it. fabulous sounding amp that i think is very giggable for most folks. but unless you replace the speaker with an 8 ohm speaker and rig up a wire to hook in another 8 ohm cab, you can't expand on it. got no idea what tube comes with it, but i would imagine groove tubes since fender owns them now. i'd probably leave it...sounded fine as it was.

4. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    If it helps, i have played a bunch of shows with a power trio using a 150W head through a 200W 15" cab. The room size wasn't huge, all the shows had a capacity of like 100ish people, and I only DI'd it once because the sound made me, and even then i made him Mic it too (which turns out sounded really good).

Only problem i have had with a single 15 is hearing myself, since the stages or rooms are small where i play i have to stand about 4 feet infront of the cab the whole time and i could barely hear anything, BUT the audience always said we sounded great and could always here me..

SOOOOoooo.... IMO i would go with it, Mic it if you need to, and maybe tilt it or put it on a chair..

Let me know how it goes, cause i want one of these too.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    definitely tilt it, but don't use a chair. chairs and milk crates look tacky. get a proper amp stand or stick a black piece of wood under it.

6. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT

I second jimmy on this. ^

7. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I Use AND gig the TV15 regularly.

Don't let the size fool you, they do get loud. Ultimately it depends on what the rest of your band is using/and probably genre of music - but for reference I play in a five piece along with 2 guitarists, a set of keys and a drummer with thunder fists.

As mentioned before; no it's not capable of a cab extension, and also you've got the amp output for PA support. For stage volume, IMO, it's definitely loud enough, and I've never had the need to lean the amp back to be heard better (again IME). Not to mention it's dripping with so much more machismo than my 600 watt Mesa Mpulse combo.

Shameless self plug:
    Picture10.

Played on an outdoor stage this summer. Worked great for me. You can see it double as a beer coaster behind my right leg

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    Were you performing Riders On The Storm? :p

Thanks for the info. This combo sure is looking more & more interesting all the time.

Yours appears to be on casters. Would that be suggested for this combo?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    ha! the keyboard player turned the O in "nord" to an E!

Datsgor likes this.
  10. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    HAHA! Yeah, we had an unfortunate bout of STORMS all day. But the show went on, and it was fun, ableit dangerous playing in the rain.

Anyway - yes, I still have the casters on. It makes transport SO MUCH easier leaving them on. They are really quick and easy to pull off, but personally I found the difference in sound to be negligible, so I leave them on for ease.

If you've got anymore questions, let me know and I'll try to field them the best I can.

11. Billy3000

Billy3000

Dec 18, 2008
    I have a friend that just recently got one and gigs with it all the time. He likes it a lot, I haven't gotten a chance to play through one yet though.

12. Bassman 100

Bassman 100

Apr 4, 2008
    Ireland
    Amp looks fantastic. Any chance you could get the Nerd to try it out on his Nord during soud check. I wonder can it handle keys?

13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    Was so focused on the amp, I didn't even notice. Good eye!

14. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I have the Duo-Ten and I love the tone and I have had no problem with gigging volume at all. The only time I have used the line-out to the PA was on outdoor gigs. I highly recommend this amp.

15. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I just noticed the jorts. Is your guitarist a Gator fan by any chance?

16. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Good catch!
    Yeah I like that amp and 350w into a good speaker/cab should be loud enough for most any gig unless you in Motley Crue, then get a BASSON.

:eek:

17. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Sure, I can try and remember to have him try it out this weekend when we get together.

18. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    JORTS!

HAHA, I actually was unaware of the term. I hope it's not meant as a pejorative term.... I do enjoy me some jorts as well.

Not a gator fan. Just a hipster with a bright shirt.

19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    I like how the drummer seems to be looking at the guitarist's ass and the keyboard player has the "I'm pitching a loaf" look. :p

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll be buying the Bassman TV 15. I just hope it fits in a Yaris even with casters.

This would be my first dedicated bass amp. Previously, I was using a Zoom digital recording device as a pre-amp and using a Klipsch subwoofer as my amp. Feel free to roll your eyes at me. lol!

20. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Just a little SEC humor.

timtebowjorts2_eb78a.