1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Batteries.....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bl2112, Apr 1, 2009.

1. bl2112

bl2112

Jul 11, 2008
    Orlando
    I've had my Ibanez sr305 for little under a year. And have a few questions since this is my first active bass. Does the battery brand effect the tone? And is there an effect on the tone as the battery dies besides volume lost.

2. if it's a passive pickup / preamp bass, i believe it will lost volume... ( might be wrong )
    but it will not affect ur tone !
    if it has active pickups, i guess u're gonna loose ur volume , all of it. ( that happened once in my Bongo )

it might be the other way around though ( i don't know this very well )

about the brand.... will ur desk lamp give another colour light if u plug it in ... australia┬┐?

batteries give power, and u need power, not "yellow" power or "blue" power!. power is power period !

3. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Actually I have notice cheap crappy batteries don;t last as long and do indeed make the bass sound crappy. The again i'm a hypochondriac.

4. WalWarrior

WalWarrior Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2006
    MD suburbs
    Man - I dig the fat punch of a Duracell. Everyready's run a little to thin for me. Then again a Ray- O -Vac really gets a Killer Geddy Lee vibe.

Man I wish there was a Pastorius 9 volt on the market....

Happy April 1st you crazy bass cats!

5. i used Energizer and i used cheap batteries and the same tone came out of it.

just that cheap ones last a lil bit less.

6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    My experience with active basses, going back to my first StingRay in 1979, is that the brand of battery doesn't affect the tone at all, as long as you're comparing similar battery types. Alkaline batteries and zinc/carbon batteries drain differently so as they get used up there's probably a difference in sound.

The only difference brand has is how reliable they are- The ONLY time in 30 years that I've had a battery problem with any of the 9 or 10 active basses I have or have owned was the one time I went against my own prejudice and put a Never-Ready into the first StingRay. It only lasted about four months, while I've consistently gotten a year minimum out of Duracells. I just change them after one year.

jte

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Don't use carbon zinc or "heavy duty" batteries. Use only alkaline or lithium batteries for the longest life and best power.

Otherwise brand doesn't matter, and they all sound the same.

8. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    I see your "batteries don't matter" argument and raise you an $180 AC power cable.

9. how about the Duracell Pro cell series, I bought a box of them on ebay, and they are heavy-duty?

10. baiting....