1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Battery life?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by facepalmmaster, Jul 28, 2012.

1. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    I own a, MXR Bass envelope filter and a Big Muff, and while the Big Muff has lasted about a month, maybe a bit less, the MXR lasts for about a week, and both take nine volt batteries. I dont even use them that often, maybe for 15-20 minutes a day, not even that some days. I just put in a new one for the MXR about 3 days ago, maybe 4, and its already not working, even when i tried unplugging them. Is this a battery issue or an issue with the effect pedals?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, when you say "even when I tried unplugging them", it makes it sound like you usually leave them plugged in--and that means the batteries are being drained.

As far as the new battery in the MXR lasting only 3 or 4 days, with the pedal unplugged, that sounds like the pedal might have a problem that needs fixing. The input jack has a switch inside that turns on the battery, when you plug a cable in, so if that switch goes bad then it might drain the battery constantly. Or it could be a bad DC jack, or a handful of other small wiring problems.

3. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Some pedals require more current to operate than others. Higher current pedals will eat batteries faster than the pedals that need less current.

A simple way to approximate the battery life for a device is to take the fresh battery capacity and divide it by the pedals average current draw.

Fresh battery = 580mAh
    Device draw = 30mA

580/30 = 19.3 hours

-Frank

4. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    Is it only the input that does it, cuz i unplugged the cable from the amp to the pedals, thinking that would be the only way it would use battery, was that wrong, do i have to unplug everything?

5. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Yes, you should unplug everything.

On a lot of pedals, the input jack is the switched jack.

6. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    The MXR has a current draw of 6mA. So, if you leave it plugged in or it is malfunctioning and “stuck-on”, like Bongo suggested, then 4 days is about right.

580/6 = 96.7 hours

-Frank

7. It's the input jack that connects/disconnects the battery.

8. How about buying even a cheap daisy chain type power supply, batteries are bad to put inot landfills. Plus you will never have this problem again.