Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Battle of the Bands

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Selta, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ok, so the other day, a guitarist from a band approached me and asked if I played any instruments (he said he saw my Iron Maiden t-shirt and figured he'd ask). So I told him yeah, I play bass...we talk for a few mins, then he says how his band is looking to play in Battle of the Bands this year, and they need a bassist. They got everything else, singer, drummer, and a pair of guitars, and now me on bass. Oh boy, what a fun story.
    The real point of this thread is mostly for input from past BotB performers, but any input is apprecited greatly. I don't know if we're doing an original or a cover - anyone have any input as to why we should do one or the other? I still practice daily for 2-3 hours, so my chops are fine. What do I do as an individual, and what do we do as a band to prep for such a thing? What have your expirences with such events been? Good? Bad? I don't have a timeline yet, so I don't know if there's any kind of rush at all, but it doesn't matter to me if there is.
    Thoughts?

Ray

2. Stax

Stax

Dec 19, 2004
    Oaktown
    I've never done a battle, but I have seen a few. My experience is that whoever brings the most friends wins. In any case, it could be fun.

3. Mankind

Mankind

Oct 20, 2003
    England
    Usually this wins it for you. Although, enjoy it and just have a good experience.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I'm not concerned so much on "winning" it, just mostly what they're about, and the likes. Thanks for that input though.

Ray

5. The best thing to do is learn the songs. Really learn the songs and work to get your bandmates to achieve the same standards. While it's true that he who brings the most friends usually wins, I've had an experience where we didn't know anyone at a BotB and won.

It was our first gig ever, hehehe.

As for what BotB's are about, it really depends. Usually they have a theme to them, like all-punk, or all-metal. On occasion you do get shows where it's a mix of styles, and those can be some of the most rewarding ones as people who would not normally listen to your style of music will show that music can reach accross the boundaries of style and form.

As for material, I would definitly recommend doing at least one cover, maybe Maiden's "The Trooper"? A great song and a great show off for you :). Just make sure you get your three finger technique down or you'll look like an imbecile. Unless of course you play with a pick, in which case I'll pretend that I didn't think of that and live in ignorance.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I don't need three fingers for Maiden, I play quite a few of their songs, and due to an injury I had happen to me (had the front of my ring finger, right hand ripped off) I can't use it for playing bass, and picking with pinky is a joke, and I make out well (due to practicing extensivly with two finger only technique). I was thinking a Maiden cover, a Judas Priest cover and maybe an original? I don't know really...

Ray

7. Holy Diver, without a doubt, id vote for ya if you pulled it off right.

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Whatsongbywhom?

Ray

9. Holy Diver by Ronnie James Dio.

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I'll have to look that one up :) thanks.

Ray

11. Wow, that would certainly suck losing a bit of a finger like that. Did you lose it before you started playing bass or afterwards? My bass teacher actually lost almost all of his thumb on his right hand, bad injury, but it made him a slap god.

I'm sure you know what songs you'll pick, but of course I'll give my input. For the Maiden you could go for Trooper of course, maybe Run To The Hills or the ever classic Hallowed Be Thy Name. As for Priest, if your band's up to it you could do Painkiller, or maybe Nightcrawler, or Screaming For Vengeance.

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I lost it just as I was starting out, so it hasn't hurt my playing cos well, I don't know any different, and I didn't have to relearn anything.

Our guitarists aren't that good at soloing, but I told them that we're going to play Hallowed by thy Name if it requires us to play to the point of bleeding daily :p.
    Do you guys think we should write an original and throw it out there, or stick to covers? We have until April, so time's not much of an issue...

Ray

13. I'd say totally throw in an original, it lets people know you can so more than take an already great song and play it well.