1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BBE Soul Vibe Uni Vibe Clone SOUNDCLIPS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mark Olson, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok just a few clips with the BBE Soul Vibe. First is before the Fulltone OCD for some I wish I was Robin Trower (not really though) but I play bass action:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=7172145

Very soupy, like vibes are on bass. Has a nice wash to it though, pulsing like. Here's a different lick still with the OCD:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=7172171

I kind of like that better... ok one more with the Sparkle Drive after the Soul Vibe just for a different flavor:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=7172416

So yeah, I don't mess with the settings too much, but Vibes are kind of really great at one setting mostly, with some other cool tones possible... yeah I know maybe I'll do some clips of those later. But this sounds really killer through my rig, the Soul Vibe moves the air, can really make you seasick if you're not careful with the intensity knob. I don't expect anyone to really dig these clips, not many people using vibes on bass, but I think it's kind of cool.

2. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok if you want to take just a quick peek skip the first and third clip Robin Trower impressions. I'm obviously no Robin Trower, but that second clip to me sounds sweet.

3. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    nice. i like seasick vibe sounds. i am vibe shopping.... this is now on my short list.

john

4. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    This one's decent for what it costs I think. I think I had the intensity less than three quarters of the way up so even though this isn't the most intense vibe, it can move the air pretty good. I've tried a fair few vibes, my favorite sounding one was the Dunlop (even over the Fulltone) but the regular old Dunlop Uni-Vibe is way too noisy to use in the studio though, just a word of caution.

5. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Interesting. How does it stack up to a Dunlop Rotovibe for you?

6. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

Thanks, been wanting to hear that one.

7. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, I'd probably take this over the Rotovibe. The bypass on the Rotovibe isn't that great. I did actually like the vibrato for a few things though, but if you want the "chorus" and vibrato, you're much better off with a real full on Uni-Vibe clone as far as I'm concerned. This pedal doesn't sound as good as my Dunlop Uni-Vibe did, but what do you expect, it's not a full on Uni Vibe clone, and it does it without the noise. But it moves the air and that's what I care about. If you listen to the second clip on a system with a sub really loud you should be able to "feel" the effect. When I use a vibe pedal on bass I'm more interested in "feeling" the effect than hearing it. I like that pulsing, seasick modulation.

8. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
  9. hey ya know what would be useful? some CLEAN demos where we dont have to squint to see through the dirt

10. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I almost did one today too! Yeah I realize that, the funny thing is I actually really like the way this pedal sounds like clean too.

11. I mean the point is nobody gets any idea what the pedal itself sounds like when you only use it together with other pedals that we might not have

at least give us ONE clean demo when you do these!

12. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
  13. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Oh, and that does distort a little bit when I lay into that minor third there, but hey, it's "clean".

14. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Yeah yeah, and just for clarity's sake that's the amp distorting, not the pedal. Though now that I think of it, I don't know if there's anything upping the voltage inside the pedal, and at only 9 volts I suppose it wouldn't have the best headroom and could potentially distort...

15. Thanks! it sounds good. not into vibrato that much but it's cool. got anything faster?

I think I can speak for everybody though when I say that CLEAN clips are always preferable, so we can get an idea what the pedal sounds like. I dont want to seem unappreciative of all the clips you've shared, but from a practical perspective, the clean clips at various settings are just more valuable. THEN we can listen to the cool combos you've come up with.

I mean people are making buying decisions here

16. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Yeah, but everybody should automatically own all of the dirt pedals that I'm using at any given time :p. My computer is about to die so I can't bang out another clip right now, but if you want to hear something faster I can give that a go at some later date.

17. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    And here's at that faster rate, and this time with a Jazz Bass. I dialed back the intensity some to about noon, as you can imagine it gets pretty warbly at a high speed. First here's some Jazzy Chords colored by the Soul Vibe:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=7265281

And then some Larry Graham style:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=7265277

Can get a little funky too.

Anyways, I'm kinda planning on picking up a Fulltone Deja Vibe, which I've tried before, it's ok, but it's one of the more convenient full featured vibes. Along with the chorus, which is all that's featured on the soul vibe, I do like the vibrato mode too and would like another full featured vibe. I do think the Fulltone can't get as intense as the Soul Vibe though, usually with vibe pedals I have the intensity cranked, but I rolled it back a bit on the Soul Vibe. But for the time being I'm torn between my Tremolo and my Soul Vibe to put on my gigging board... I've decided I'm going to make an entire separate "Hendrix" board along with whatever full featured vibe I get, but like I said, still stuck on Trem/Vibe for my gigging board. Anybody have any insight into the matter they'd care to share? Any opinions what you think suits me better? Or just sounds better?

18. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Not only clean clips, but with the effect going directly to the recording device. I always do that so the only influence comes from the instrument characteristics.

19. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm sorry but I will never record direct, I think it sounds terrible, absolutely horrible, and you don't get to hear what the effect can really do. I always use my effects through an amp in real life, so that's the way I like to do my samples too.

20. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    And I'll add I actually get really bummed out when people do clips direct to a recording device, for one in my experience that makes pretty much anything sound like crap, so I don't actually get to hear what the pedal sounds like, and two, I don't play direct to a recording device I play through halfways decent amps, and that's how I'd like to hear clips done, through a halfways decent amp so I can have a better idea actually that way how things will sound through my amp.