1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bc rich mockingbird masterpeice bass vs. jackson js2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by txthrashking, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Love both these basses but only have so much $

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The problem with the mockingbird imo is twofold. The masterpeice version has a bad control section. Only master volume, 3way switch and tone. Like master volume only guitars. Which I also despise. Adding seperate volumes can only be done if you use the 3way toggle switch hole. Cause the pots are mounted with indented into the body method for the knobs. You could keep the toggle switch and replace the single volume pot with a stacked one or a blend pot if you'd allways leave the master volume at full. Myself Id do blend pot to replace the volume. And Id replace the passice tone with basslijnes blackout stacked knob bass/treble preamp.

That leaves the 2nd problem with mockingbirds. Notice how the rear of body slant is opposite the norm. Its harder to rest it against your leg with neck angled upward cause it wants to slide the body the opposite direction when pressed against leg if your not careful. Note also the position of the front strap button. No, moving it to the back of neck isnt a fix, it just creates new problem. Bass wants to tilt forward away from you now. When a front strap button is to far away from the 12 fret, neck dive is gauranteed. The far rearward position of the front strap button, even if placed at neck plate is the reason the reach to nut also is longer then on other basses. Same thing with the gibson thunderbird to. Strap has the bass hanging away from you rather then into you.

Mockingbird is pleasant looking but awkward playing plain and simple. Imo. Yes Ive owned mockingbirds, 3 of the basses. plus a couple of the mockingbird guitars. Most awkward instruments Ive ever owned. But they look nice. Lol.

The Jackson Js2 is betteer choice imo. Very good build, none of the awkward playing nonsense of mockingbird. Better controls stock. seperate volumes plus tone. Excellent metal & aggressive music orientation for sound base. Excellent looks for that to.

O Btw reason Id do blend knob replace on the masterpeice mock is I do pup blend variations as a main tone variation method and stacked volumes are just awkward for that to me..

3. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I agree with DS since he owns enough of them.
    But I'm biased because I have too many Jacksons over here :)
    DS I just picked up a Takamine with double-p and it does sound different than my HH,P/J, and P/HB Jacksons.....

4. I must also agree. The mockingbird (both guitar and bass) look pretty nice, but the shape just doesnt lend itself well to balance and comfort. Everyone i have tried and owned had some pretty bad neckdive and just generally unpleasant to play. Also for some reason their sound has never been stellar either.

The jackson on the other hand, seems like a great deal. I owned a used Jackson concert bass a number of years ago, sold it because i was stupid. It was a great bass, Those new basses jackson has come out with look pretty nice too, id love to try one out.

5. My biggest problem with the js2 is the weight. I love Jacksons but their basses are heavy and I am a lover of single control guitars because with my amps I can do the fine tuning and it sounds better IMO if I use the amp to fine tune the sound but the body thing is an issue because I do like to sit when I'm writing and if the bc rich messes with my writing then I'll be a unhappy pirate

6. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    well for shape comparison, the 2 units are apples and oranges.. if your gonna use the thing for a while sitting down, then what's the deal?

If to you they both sound similar, perhaps one or the other has a quality you like... if the dealbreaker is the shape cause you want to sit with it, then it's a no brainer.

the old units were poplar wood and heavier yes. the new ones are basswood.
    unless your not into preamps I would just spend the extra 125 bucks and get the 5string.

7. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    The Mock isn't the only bass with that reverse shape.

1) Don't play sitting down. Ever.
    2) If you simply must play seated, you can adjust a strap to "choke on it" height. Rest the bass on your left leg, and rest your forearm on the upper bout to push the neck up. It takes very little pressure and feels quite natural.

Wrap your strap over the top of the bass to pull the forward tilt back into your body. Easy fix, done.

The neck hanging farther away from your body, with a longer reach to the nut is much better than a standard "hang". Any Explorer or T-bird shape, a Kelly or a Warlock hang this way. It's much easier to reach the high frets. Once I got used to the longer reach, I can't stand a standard hang anymore. I don't want to reach over my stomach to access the fretboard.

To the OP> I wouldn't recommend either one of those basses. For about the same money, you can buy a much better used bass. Look for a MIJ Jackson import, or possibly a MIK neck-thru BC Rich.

8. I just played the Jackson JS2 at Guitar Center and i am IN LOVE with it so i think i know what my next purchase shall be.

9. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    yes, a JS3 for 50 bucks more right?

10. ezemvn

ezemvn

Sep 13, 2011
    ezemvn
    Just A question guys where are the Jackson basses made from? (js2/js3)

11. dcalde78

dcalde78

Apr 17, 2012
    Scotland
    Probably Indonesia or China. Probably in the same location as wherever Fender make their lower end models/high end Squiers.

12. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    ... but IMHO stays a poor soundin' instrument.

My friend: I once owned a Jackson Dave Ellefson Concert XL, back in headbangin' '90s

The JS2/JS3 is no comparable to that old beast...

I'm not blamin' anybody for its difficult availability out there... I sold it because was perfectly crafted and balanced, but original P/J pickups weren't proficient enough and neck and machineheads really unstable.

Try to reach for a B.C. Rich Classic Heritage Mockingbird man.

Cheers,
    Wallace

13. mikenel169

mikenel169 Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2011
    RI

I believe them to be made in India....well the body is anyway.

txthrashking:

I just picked up a used JS3 for $180.00. Man i tell you they are worth the $350.00. I have a $2000 Spector and this thing feels just as nice; playability wise. I would of bought new if i had the cash. If you were to go Jackson then definitely go with the JS3, active pickups with a preamp, well worth the extra $50!! :bassist:

If u go Jackson JS series u will not be disappointed IME.

14. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yes they are made in India. However, the new CBX is out and still under 400 and unless your an emg-Hz hater, it is pretty much a Indian CMG.

15. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Ive got a Jackson JS3 now. Its excellent. Very versatile. Excellent agressive tone. Excellent fretwork. Very good build. I think it also sounds better and has better hardware esp the bridge then the previous CMG basses with emg hz pups and 3band eq, that sold for allmost twice as much.

16. ezemvn

ezemvn

Sep 13, 2011
    ezemvn

er sorry im still a little nooby, whats CBX?

17. NOT

NOT

Jul 15, 2011
    I own two Jackson CMG basses and love 'em! I picked up the JS2 at Sam Ash awhile back, and they are great. Much better than the Mockingbird Masterpiece. And thru a Hartke Hydrive, they sound godlike!

18. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
  19. Domim

Domim

Jun 29, 2012
    tehran
    I have a js3,totally nice toy to play,but i have 2 problem with that:
    1-frettwork is poor and uneven...seriously
    2-separated volume knobs are great,but does not give me a clean fade in and fade out...