1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BEAD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thebiggestjerk, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Thebiggestjerk

Thebiggestjerk

Mar 29, 2017
    So I finally switched my Ibanez SR 4-string to BEAD tuning with a new 5 string set, just tossed the G in a drawer to use on another bass when I break a string slapping.

I’ve been getting into drop tunings with bands like Mastodon and just tuning my E down to C and A wasn’t cutting.

Amazing sounds!

dukeorock, mech and Stumbo like this.
  2. Tbsx

Tbsx Troll Inactive

Sep 12, 2017
    I've dropped mine down to bead as well. Because I wanted to see what if I liked it before buying a 5 string. Surprised these Didario light chrome flatwounds are holding the tone. Some fret noise but I haven't adjusted the action yet. I just tune eadg at the fifth fret. If I can get it set up right, I'll just forget about the five string. I don't use the higher notes that much anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem.

3. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I tried BEAD for a while thinking I didn't use the G that much. Only on the gig I found out I did. So 5 string was the real solution for me. YMMV.

NKBassman likes this.
  4. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I'm having the same thoughts after tuning my four string Precision BEAD, which works really well for my originals band, but the tuning has reached its limitation on my big band gig; having to play up on the neck all night is no fun.

5. Hambone70

Hambone70

Jan 31, 2018
    I've been thinking about BEAD. I love bass because of the bass frequencies, and could easily live without a G-string. (There's a joke in there somewhere, I reckon...) I play an octave down from what's written whenever I can.

I'm finding that on a 5-string I'm having difficulties reaching across to the B-string, especially with my pinky. BEAD sounds like a possible solution.

6. I’ve tuned my Schecter EADG, BEAD and DGCF. I’m currently in BEAD but I’m thinking DGCF will be my next move. I find it to be the best compromise of thicker tone from playing higher on the neck while retaining the F-string (standing in for G) which gives me that melodic capability of higher strings, if that makes any sense.

7. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    I know some people change the nut, did you guys change it or just kept it stock ?

jmattbassplaya likes this.
  8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Carvin LB-20 2.JPG On my Carvin LB-20 - yes, I had to change the nut. When I strung it BEAD, I used the 65-135 strings from a 5 -string set of La Bella Black Tapes. They work well, and sound good. But, since I've decided that, For Me and what I play, BEAD's a waste of time, I'll need to change the nut again when I go back to EADG...:)

9. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Love that LB-20!

10. Trying a handful of BEAD converted basses (including my own) as well as many 5 strings, I've decided that E strings sound a LOT better when they're closer to the middle of the neck.

Or is it the middle of the bridge?
    Or the longer length between nut and tuner?

All I know is that BEAD basses are a great alternative to 5s for several reasons such as preference for fours/small hands, weight, budget, finding a job for a bass you don't use anymore, experimentation, fun....etc.
    Modify the nut (or not), do a setup, buy some strings, and go.

If you ask, a lot of stores have a box with random single strings in it for sale. Before committing to BEAD I paid maybe $7 for a .120 just to see how it felt.

ajkula66 likes this.
  11. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    When I did one a year two ago, I just used the strings as an impromptu file to sort of open up the nut a bit. The bigger issue, for me, is I had to take a drill to open up the bridge a bit, but YMMV.

12. If anyone tries this, be sure to cut a thin strip of masking tape to put in the bottom of the slot so you don't end up making it too deep and causing fret buzz.
    I use a small flat file with a blank edge for the slot bottom, so only the sides get any material removed.

13. Tbsx

Tbsx Troll Inactive

Sep 12, 2017
    I tried just stringing up the lowest 4 from a 5 string set. It worked for a couple of weeks, then the nut broke. I'll have to get another nut and file it out this time or have a luthier do it.