Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Becoming a metalhead

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bardolph, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I've been getting into guitar playing lately. I'm not trying to be a local guitarist or be in a band or anything, I just want to do it for my own enjoyment. I've always enjoyed good metal style playing- the riffs, intensity, and the speed. I know that speed and cool licks don't make a good player, but they are fun and I wouldn't mind having some at my disposal. So what I'm asking is where can I look for developing some metal guitar skills (bands, sites, videos, whatever).

2. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    I've been doing guitar for a year myself, nothing satisfies more than ripping out a perfectly executed riff. My favorite bands to jam along with on the cd player:
    Marilyn Manson: there's some 1 finger flogging in there, easy to play
    Metallica: They know how to rock

Had trouble with:
    System of a Down
    and
    Fear Factory
    Both use either 7-strings or insanely low tunings. Floppy strings aren't my thing.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Start with Soilwork or Meshuggah. Once you've mastered that, call me and I'll join your band.

4. Wildside

Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    check out paul gilbert's first reh video. A guitarist I was in a band with a while back was obsessed with that, and I picked up a lot of cool ideas from it. Paul is a monster.

5. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Learn a bunch of Sabbath, every other band in "metal" just ripps them off.

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    word.

and Gwar. who are actually KISS with balls.

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Maiden

8. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA

Yep...

9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Just don't be like all the metal kids now and totally ignore the 70's and 80's. Some GREAT metal came out of those decades. Especially the 80's. :bassist:

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Start with some AC/DC. It's not so metal as you'd probably prefer, but it's tight. It's TIGHT. Just see the live DVDs. The other good part about AC/DC, guitarwise, is that they don't use much overdrive - you hear your mistakes, so you have to develope a good technique.

After that, move to Sabbath :cool:

11. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Yeah, what Tsal said. If you look rock and roll up in the dictionary it has a picture of AC/DC by it. Great, simple riffs to start off with. Then some Sabbath and maybe Led Zeppelin. :bassist:

12. Try slipknot, metallica, budgie, korn, and all those metal bands.. ooo black sabbath, AC/DC. ya know, the proper metal bands! :bassist:

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Budgie?

14. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Honestly my friend who is an increadible guitarist (Playing Guitar For Riverside Community College's Marching Band, Drum Corps) has been taking lessons from a Jazz teacher and that has REALLY improved his overall playing.

But I would suggest some Dream Theater, Yes, King Crimson, and STYX personally.

15. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Fear Factory is great for getting your picking speed in order. If you want to get technical though. Try some Cannibal Corpse or Cryptopsy.

16. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Wow, thanks guys. Do you know of any websites that have metal riff examples and whatnot?

17. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Back in my metal days, I read Guitar World Magazine cover-to-cover every month. You will find riffs there and many "lessons" by top metal guitarists. Plus, the interviews with top metal guitarists are very informative. Additionally, there are transcriptions in both tab and standard notation of popular metal songs. These transcriptions also include bass lines, so they are very helpful. Back in the day, there were five transcriptions, but their web site is showing six for this month. Cool!

I just checked their web site and it looks as if Guitar World continues in much the same manner, offering valuable advice and instruction to metal enthusiasts.

Guitar magazine also has useful information and has more "snob appeal", but their main emphasis is not metal, but more jazz and other styles of guitar music. You will learn a lot in that magazine, too, but I believe you'll get more bang for your buck with Guitar World because you state you want help in becoming a metalhead. Guitar World did more for me in that regard than any other video or magazine or instruction book.

Check their web site for starters:

http://www.guitarworld.com

Disclaimer: I don't work for this magazine. I realize my comments sound like an advertisement, but I am sincere when I say the magazine was very helpful to me.

18. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Metallica
    Iron Maiden
    Megadeth
    Black Sabbath
    Death (listen to the instrumental 'Voice of the Soul'. My God it's amazing. So emotional and stuff.)
    Pantera

That should keep you busy for some time. Enjoy! :)

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

19. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Weren't they the ones who did the song 'Breadfan'... the one Metallica covered?

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Metal?

Strapping Young Lad.