Bedroom Bass Player Club

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Boogie Woogie, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Boogie Woogie

Boogie Woogie

Aug 9, 2017
    I think this forum should have one section dedicated only for bass-people that are not gigging musicians or play in a band, and don't inted to.

Why?
    Because, as for the gear - playing bass guitar at home is totally different thing comparing to playing in venues and even small clubs and many of us (in order to find some answers) must browse hundreds of pages here, only to find out that some kind giving advice dude, actually never plays at home and for him, one 1x8 combo might be considered as a toy, whereas for us bedroom players it can be more than enough.

BP plays music in completely different ambient, often with just earphones, connected to PC and often in the room size of someone's gigging amps and cabs.

Don't get me wrong, everyone should enjoy music and gear etc, but I think that the whole bunch of people would be very pleased if here's one pdf just for them so they can share their experience and find stuff much easier.

Cheers :cigar:

2. chuck65

chuck65 Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Orange Park FL.
    I agree .
    Not only for the BPs that never have , or have no intention of leaving their sacred space but for those who are either returning back to their room to “ get away from it all “ and the people putting themselves “ back in the wood shed “ after picking up their Bass after years of gathering dust on the case , and using their amp for a lamp table.

3. this is a great idea!
    I used to gig more but I’m taking a break now so I’m mainly playing in the bedroom. Before I was so slammed up with work and playing that I rarely plugged my bass into an amp outside of a soundcheck. I’d practice at home unplugged so I wouldn’t have to unpack everything.
    Now I’m getting to listen to my instrument and rig more closely and I’m having a lot of fun tone shaping and learning more advanced material. It’s a completely different vibe from a more live performance based focus.
    My pj bass was my live go to bass because sound guys loved it, it plays great and it was light. Now my go to bass is a jazz bass that I almost sold because I never played it when I was gigging. I thought it sounded thin live in the mix...sounds huge and very articulate in my bedroom.

4. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I think that's a fine idea, and this thread (or one arising from it) seems like the perfect place for such discussion.
    I guess a whole new sub-forum could work, bit it's my humble opinion that there's too many sections already, especially with the division of the whole site into Double Bass and Bass Guitar halves...I'll never understand that.
    Regarding less-than-useful, but well-meaning advice, what'd really be nice would be if people actually read opening questions fully before answering.

5. Boogie Woogie

Boogie Woogie

Aug 9, 2017
    Thank you for your answers, I think it's obvious that Bedroom Players are dealing with totally different situations than people playing clubs, churches and big venues. The space is different, the gear is (or should be) different, the nature of the sound is different etc.

Although we all love to see some badass head+4x10 500w + huge pedallboard setup, the truth is - it doesn't work for us - at all.

I know people using just a ukebass and 1x8 cab in their room acheiving great tone (and therefore great inspiration to play and develop as musicians)

I also know people having so much expensive gear in already overcrowded rooms, sitting on amp's cabinets, frustrated, not getting "the sound", ready to give up.

So, considering the fact that this forum is like Sea of good informations for bassists, seemed logical to me that we should have one small river (or lake) for us with litlle boats and canoes

Funny-guitar-use.jpg

6. rickster4003

rickster4003

Feb 15, 2013
    How about a cellar dweller like myself. I do have an audience though, of two siamese cats and an occasional Sheetzu dog.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  7. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    Count me in. I’m a retired weekend warrior, both church and secular gigs. I have MS so about the most I can do is play bass or guitar at the Sr. center.

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Can we aspire to something a bit higher than the bedroom, say, the finished attic. :D

Not being in a band now for a few years, I mostly play to just my vintage Gustav Stickley furniture. :roflmao:

9. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Im not allowed to practice in the Bedroom or the living room, Have my Man Cave Office Room "Grunt Grunt" still trying to sound proof it before the wife seals me in in the room, hunting Sound Absorbing Panels for the walls and ceilings doors - she aint going for the keggerator in office thing yet .

10. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Why not start a club thread for it?

When I took it up as my first instrument at 42-43yo I never imagined myself getting competent enough to join a band that gigs, but less than 2 years later while looking on CL for an intermediate drummer to jam with I ended up nailing my first audition with a startup and we've been making beautiful music together near weekly. < That was 5 years ago, almost 2 years ago I joined another startup for varieties sake.

Never say never is the long winded moral of that story :rolleyes:

Anyway, a subforum might be a lot to ask of the site admins, but at least a club thread is a good idea. Good luck with that, and keep rockin

11. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
  12. Fellow cellar dweller here. *fistbump*

rickster4003 and MAXSPINRUN like this.
  13. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I wish we could get away from the "bedroom" adage. I've never played an instrument in my bedroom, ever.
    Once in a hotel room, but that was an acoustic guitar.

timplog, Nevada Pete and rollie 55 like this.
  14. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    Basement dweller then

15. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    What's the best amp for bedroom metal...

Seriously

lucas303 likes this.
  16. SunByrne

SunByrne opinionated intellectual Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    Dining room for me. We pretty much always eat in the kitchen, and when the kids first started piano we got a little spinet and put it in the dining room, so that's where music gets played, even though nobody in the house actually plays piano anymore.

rollie 55 likes this.
  17. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    Count me in

rollie 55 and MAXSPINRUN like this.
  18. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Naaaa that’s boring, when I can’t gig anymore is when I quit...

juancaminos likes this.
  19. steelbed45

steelbed45 33 on Ignore Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
  20. I'm in! .... my living room, that is.
    Oh its great to be a bachelor.

The basement would be good for containing the racket, but it's awfully humid down there.

Erik Asma and LowRick like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021