Beginner Recording Equipment for Youtube Channel

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Dane Coles, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Looking to start a YouTube channel to showcase my playing, do reviews, and perform covers and originals. I have no current recording or sound equipment outside of a Macbook Air and my bass rig. I have experience sound editing on Adobe Audition, but no video recording or editing experience. Looking for simplest and most affordable set ups possible that deliver quality sound and video. Any advice to recording equipment, software, lighting, sound, or other info greatly appreciated.

jmattbassplaya likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Don't know about video, but my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and Audacity do it for me. But I'm not trying to make a youtube channel, just posting clips on here and making practice loops for jamming.

3. whatizitman

whatizitman

Sep 9, 2014
    How much do you want to spend, and how "professional" do you want your environment to appear?

As with all A/V production, experience and skills win over budget and equipment concerns. Don't spend too much until you know what to buy - you won't know what you need until you have some idea what you're doing.

By far the simplest and most affordable for Mac is iMovie and GarageBand. They work seamlessly with each other. If you have limited experience, work with them until you know enough about what you need to make better videos.

Move up to Logic and/or adobe products if you want to spend a bit.

You need an HD camera, a USB interface with XLR and phantom (keep it simple) and/or a DI, a decent mic, and headphones to start.

There are tons of lighting and background packages on amazon. You can make a very cheap green screen with a few neon green poster boards taped together with neon green duct tape (don't ask me how I know this). If you don't know much about lighting, just tell yourself the more the better, until you know about lighting. Background is whole 'nuther thing. Truthfully, most DIY instrument videos don't seem to pay much attention to background. Unless you have a specific backdrop in mind, keep it clean and free from clutter and distraction. And light the room up like a torch.

And for the sake of all that is holy, resist putting videos online until you have learned from the mistakes you will inevitably make your first few times around. The last thing youtube needs is another bedroom player with a webcam. If you want to post something to be proud of, do yourself a favor and spend the time to make a good video before releasing it to the world.

Felix1776 likes this.
  4. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    jmattbassplaya likes this.