1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beginner Resource Recommendation

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Liberty MO, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Liberty MO

Liberty MO

Aug 7, 2007
    I have been lurking in the forum for about 2 months now and finally decided to ask for some help. I’m a long time tuba player, and have always wanted to round out my repertoire with the bass. I used the forum to buy my first bass and amp, and can’t wait to begin. I need help with very basic instruction.

Any recommendations on a good VERY basic book/DVD on beginning technique? Something that would include hand positioning, string muting, and left hand technique? I read music and chord progressions very well, but need instruction on translating that to the instrument.

Searching the net, there are hundreds of options. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Since you play tuba have you checked out Kick Joseph's Backyard Groove. He plays Funk bass lines on tuba in his band and very cool sounding. Maybe your tuba can help you get into bass.

Kirk Joesph's MySpace page

3. Torch7

Torch7

May 7, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Bass Guitar for Dummies, very thorough, very foundational.

4. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
  5. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    Yeah! I put that website up here all the time. +20 Great site.

6. If your into getting a book, I would recommend if you can still find it:

Mel Bey's Deluxe Jazz & Rock Bass Method by Vincent Bredice

7. Liberty MO

Liberty MO

Aug 7, 2007
    Thanks for the info, this site is exactly what I was looking for.