1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beginner Tips.

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by Dulahey, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Dulahey

Dulahey

Oct 19, 2010
    Norman, OK
    So I just got my very first double bass and now I need to start learning.

I am in the process of looking for a teacher, and have been recommended to go to a monthly bluegrass club meeting where people have jam sessions, but I'm looking for suggestions on what I should start doing NOW at home.

I guess first thing would be learning/memorizing all the notes in first position. I'm pretty sure I'll be playing these notes 95%+ of the time. But other than that what should I do? Should I just pick a couple songs that the rest of guys(guitarist, mandolin, banjo) are working on and start learning them?

I feel pretty clueless here. Should I just get their songs, see what chords are played and just play I-V's the entire song? Is that TOO basic? Are some runs required? Will it sound bad if all I do is I-V? Just seems like that's the easiest/quickest way I can start playing with them.

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Maybe you can find a Bass player nearby to tutor you as how to play bluegrass and then get a formal teacher. I personally don't play or have a Double Bass anymore but when I did, I had to build up my chops to be able to play say I IV V patterns, easier said then done......Go to the bluegrass jam and jump in, you'll have fun I'm sure.and you'll meet other bass fiddle players and go from there.....................

3. It is NOT bad to play I-V at all. In fact that is an excellant foundation to work with in bluegrass. Play that in good time with a solid sound. Later ad a bit of walking and you'll be on your way. Keeping it simple is key.

4. Dulahey

Dulahey

Oct 19, 2010
    Norman, OK
    Just got back from my first practice gig ever and yes I totally agree. If I can learn to I-V really well, I have no problem at all with that. It adds a GREAT sound to the band.

And yeah, exactly like you said, once I get a little better I can start adding in some walking.

5. Building up your hands - both of 'em - is important. I would recommend playing scales, first to learn the notes (keys E,A,D and G will do virtually any BG tune), then play 'em as fast as you can.

I find that practicing new music on a bass at home is not only tough, but somewhat boring. If I can find a recording of the song I loop it and play along with it over and over to get the bass line, then I play it over and over while singing only, then I do both.