1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Behringer amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by noahndc, Jan 5, 2012.

1. noahndc

noahndc

Jan 5, 2012
    just ordered a behringer ultrabass bxl900. its 90 watts and seems pretty good. Does anyone else have it or have played it? or any behringer in the first place.

2. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Here we go...
    I've had good luck with them.
    I've been very pleased with several pieces of Behringer gear.
    Good luck!
    Welcome to TB!

3. dont throw away the warrently and dont be angry if they dont actually accept said warrenty..... its all im saying

4. noahndc

noahndc

Jan 5, 2012
    thanks. do you think it would work for small gigs? im starting a soft/chill rock band.

5. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    By itself? That's a tough order for that guy. And 90 watts is really pushing it for even small gigs.
    If you have PA though, then of course.

6. mate. ive used alot smaller and alot less power. you should be fine but i recomend maybe using a mic or a bit of p.a support.

7. I'm not sure. Mine could GET that loud, but it wouldn't hold it. It overheated a lot, though, if you get a $5 fan and stick it in the back, that should work. And don't push the bass control, it's only got a 70 watt speaker in it.

8. noahndc

noahndc

Jan 5, 2012
    yeah my singer is getting a 600 watt pa. i can connect it to that and the amp? sorry, im just starting out with this stuff...

9. I don't think it has a line out, you could get an ART tube MP and run that into the PA and use the Behringer as a monitor.

10. mate. we all gotta start somewhere.

11. noahndc

noahndc

Jan 5, 2012
    Thanks for all of the advice. ill definitely look into this stuff when i have the money. but when i say small gigs, i'm talking like coffee shop small. do think the amp by itself would work for that?

12. perfectly fine for that. my small gig rig is 5 watts.

13. noahndc

noahndc

Jan 5, 2012
    oh. cool. thanks for all of you help. is there any more information or things i should know about the amp? or having an amp in the first place since this is my first

14. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    You got a good start by joining here.
    Now, take some time and browse the amp forums.
    You "should" find everything you want to know, and some things you don't.
    Start there, then come back with any specific questions.
    And again, glad you're here!

15. well as mentioned above keep the warenty and if behringer dont pull through then get a fan fitted on it.

16. noahndc

noahndc

Jan 5, 2012
    alright. sounds good. again thanks everyone for all of your help

17. we we're all noobs once

18. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    What is the speaker cab you'll be using with the amp?

The more efficient your cab, the more loudness you'll get.

19. Hi OP.

I have it's 45w little brother as a practice amp, and I have Roland's similar sized CB100 for small gigs. So yes it has the power to do small stuff provided you watch your volume. And I have owned my Behringer for maybe 5 years during which it has been reliable. I actually wish I could take the best features of this and the cube and put them in one amp. It would be awesome.

Now, any amp will blow up if you push it too hard, so you want to learn how to recognise that. Basically if you turn it up very slowly and carefully while playing low notes very hard, you will hear it start to sound like it is farting. At that point if you keep going you will do damage, so stay softer than that. That means listening for the sound. Even without changing your volume knobs, if you play louder the amp works harder.

And it's the lowest frequencies which are hardest on the amp and use the most power. So avoid using the ultrabass feature, and experiment with pushing the "160" slider on the EQ more than the "63" slide to get more volume and still have a full sound.

When it comes time to feed your bass through the PA you want a DI box, like this:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DI100.aspx

You plug your bass into the DI, then a lead from the DI to your amp and another from DI to the PA.

Enjoy the new toy!