Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer BX3000T Ultrabass vs. Ashdown MAG 300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hentper3, Jun 23, 2004.

1. hentper3

hentper3

Jun 22, 2004
    Is the Ashdown worth the extra $70?

Does anyone know if there is a real difference between the two?

Has anyone had any experience with either head. What kind of tone do they have?

I've searched the forum to find some previous opinions, but I would like to get as much input as possible. This will be my first amp.

Thanks guys.

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Getting the two together to A/B might be difficult.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Consider baked beans.

You can get your Heinz beans for 30pence a tin, and they taste good, the tomatoe is right, and theyre nice and squishy and you're just happy with them.

You buy your Own Brand beans for 7p a tin, and theyre like heniz, you cant tell the dufference just by looking, but when you put them in your mouth, theyre just not quite right. the skin comes off too easily and theyre a little hard in the middle.

Thats the difference.

4. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Unless someone has used both they won't be qualified to answer that question.

5. The Behringer also has the "shape" control, which isn't included on the Ashdown Mag300. .
    The Shape control is included on some of Ashdown's more expensive heads, like the ABM series.
    I'm sure the Ashdown is a great amp. I haven't yet tried either of them, but I'd like to sit them side by side and see how they compare.

Mag...

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    as the owner of 2 mag combos and someone with first hand experience with Ashdown's customer service team... for a $70 spread, the Behringer isn't even a consideration to me.

Hey Toasted, Kick ass post!

7. bloody hell, wish i lived over there just for the gear prices, over here the behringer costs $500-$550 when the ashdown is $1400, its bloody rediculous

8. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Freekin awesome post.Very profound.

I'm not raggin it. I really did like it...

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    So, what you're saying is, both will give you the runs?

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Not sure on which exact models, but there are Ashdown and Behringer amps that are in fact almost the same circuit and made in the same Chinese factory of the same components by the same labor.

This information is from a major NYC amp/sound repair firm that works closely with both Ashdown and Behringer.

11. choose ashdown for conscience alone. they innovated the circuit design and behrigner reverse engineered it. $70 is a small price to pay to keep the innovator in business and well worth it for the improved customer service.

robb.

12. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Kind of like the baked beans really. Tesco's own brand beans are made by Heinz, but of course not with the same top notch ingredients.

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    You might want to check this thread regarding the Behringer.

Frondelli, BTW, is a significant guy. He personally prepares the amps for some of the biggest names in entertainment and is probably one of the three or four people I've encountered on the Internet during my twenty-plus years online who actually knows what he's talking about.

14. what he's trying to say is that the Behringer will give you a painful case of the craps (bad beans), whereas with the Ashdown your less liable to catch a painful stomach virus or anything else (good beans). :)

i look at buying amps like buying underwear. sure, you'd like to buy it cheap, but sometimes quality is a questionable thing. Buy a pack of 30 for 30 cents won't really seem like a bad deal, but when you feel like you have sandpaper on, you'll wish you'd just used them for firestarters :eek: .IMO, buying cheap stuff, like Behringer, is not really that great a thing to do, unless you've tried it out and liked it, but there are some exceptions

15. Would you say that in my circumstances (not that im buying either, swr all the way) where the behringer is a mere $500aus where the ashdown is $1400aus....$900 differencer instead of $70, i think ashdown are full of themselves for charging that mush down here

16. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    LMAO :p

17. perhaps the ashdown price is for the older, UK-made heads, which have now been moved to china in order to compete in the market.

[soapbox]
    in all cases i advocate buying the right gear, which is sometimes expensive and sometimes not. in this case, where two amps are virtually the same with one being a reverse-engineered version of the other, i recommend the original, even if it means waiting for the next paycheck.

a lot of people complain about how evil walmart is, but they still shop there because the prices are low. they complain that jobs are moving to china, but they buy chinese made stuff because it costs less. if it matters that much to them, make the tough decision and buy more expensive.

as an electrical engineer, it is very important to me that i buy gear that ensures i will have a career and i try to convince others of that as well. it is important enough for me to buy from a company that designs their gear instead of reverse engineers someone else's effort and makes a less expensive, less reliable, more corners cut version and sells it for less because most people don't know, and if they did know, they still wouldn't care.

but that's just me. i guess i'm one of the few who walks like he talks.
    [/soapbox]

robb.

18. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Do you work for Peavey?

19. considering we've only had ashdown gear here for about 4 months..i doubt it be for the older ones.......everything is marked up for here, dont get me started on fender..anyway...im going SWR...actually before i get my SWR rig ive finally found a Peavey 1516 (1x15" + 2x8" cab) for $700aus, its been in the store a while so im gonna see if they'll do it for $500 cash :smug: ...i have got a behringer practise amp and i gotta say its the best damned sounding 15w ive ever tried, id only compare it to a 30w roland cube

20. yes. i'm pretty clear about it when peavey products are the topic. in any case, though, on TB i'm acting as an individual and in no way as an agent for my employer. if someone has a question about peavey gear, i do try to provide as much information as i can.

robb.