Behringer DI100 vs. GI100

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ole Jason, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Is there any difference between these except the speaker emulation on the GI100?
  2. 12notes

Jul 15, 2003
    Get the GI100. Same price. I like it so much now I own 6 of them! :)
  3. haha 6?!! I used a DI100 at a club and was amazed by it. Do you ever use the speaker emulation live?
  4. thewalrus81

thewalrus81 Guest

Sep 19, 2003
    Dallas TX
    hey im new to all the different effects and stuff

what exactly is speaker emulation?
  5. 12notes

Jul 15, 2003
    No. Not yet. But I will.

For recording only. For now. Excellent recording gear. I power them with the phantom power from the mixer, instead of with batteries. The dynamic headroom is a lot better than the already very impressive results with just battery power.

The speaker emulation is delicious. No. It won't jump out in front of your face at you when it's on. But very noticeable if you switch it off after playing for a minute or so. It doesn't add, or take out the tones from your gears ahead ot it in the chain. Just open the sound up nicely. Mixing with your preamp/amp's line-out together with the speaker emulation from the GI-100, and you have some truely beautiful , repeatable tones generation, without much time, money, and muscle involved. Just concentrate on the playing. And save your muscle energy to lug home your "dessert" to enjoy after the gig, instead of lugging a back-breaking amp/cab rig. :p

These dirt-cheap buggers are killers for keyboards too. Just totally opened up the sound.

Will try the Behringer tube mic DI box next.
  6. Let us know how that goes. I've been eyeing off one of those for a while now.
  7. 12notes

Jul 15, 2003

Try to check back around mid to late October. My rule of thumb is not to make judgement on electronic items without at least 100 hours of burn-in period. I am a firm believer in the burn-in process, from my yeays of high end home audio experiences with both tube and ss equiptments.

I will also try different tubes with the unit, since I already have a decent collection of suitable tubes for my home audio system.