Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer T1951: any thoughts.....?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Rockin John, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Good afternoon folks.

Have been throught the Behringer threads and noted all comments.......:eek:

I'm considering this as a bass preamp.

http://www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=T1951&lang=eng

I wondered whether there's any wisdom on this piece: not as a bass preamp, as such, but as a piece of equipment in general? Reliability, ease of use, etc, etc.

Thanks.

John

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rumor mill says the tubes are noisy and mainly for show, something about plate voltage? You should look that up though as I've heard it only in the form of hearsay.

3. Thanks, Blisshead.

Hmmmm. Behringer gear doesn't enjoy that good a reputation, does it? Although there are positive comments on the boards, the overwhelming is a negative. Leaving aside their reputed R&D policy, enough people have questioned reliability issues to have made me change my mind about getting their stuff. I suppose that's a bit silly because I should really try for myself, I guess. Still, what might sound and look good @ the store mignt not be so a year down the road.

Thanks.

John

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Asude from the R&D that they apparently steal, it seems that the mixers are the real pieces of crap. The other stuff seems about what you'd expect for it's price point.

5. The nice things about the boards, is that you can get collective info and, hopefully this will give you a more informed view. Then the choice to purchase or not is on you the consumer.

Behringer is very low end gear and that is the collective word of choice!

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. I'd like to put this into perspective....my perspective, of course:eek:

My (very, very limited) experience of Behringer gear, is quite favourable. Our guitarist has one of their mixers which we use for the PA. IT works fine, has never let us down, etc.

Having said all that our band is a small set up in all respects, and is no more than a hobby. We reherse whenever we can and do 2 or 3 gigs a year. Hardly a punishing schedule for man or gear. In that context, his Behringer mixer has been excellent: I'd be lying if I said otherwise. Likewise, perhaps, for the hobbyist musical tinkerer Behringer might well be OK - you know, the bedroom recording studio guy.

Behringer gear might well not stand up to the rigors of regular use on the road, nor may it perform so well on high performance / high power rigs. From others' comments (R&D issues aside) the build quality isn't that good which might be why it's reliability suffers when given hard work to do.

I suspect, for example, that a Beringer mixer might be just fine for my lad's school (up to 11 years old) where they need a small PA 2 or 3 times per year for various reasons.

I wonder, therefore, whether Behringer equipment does have a place, but that place might not be semi pro / pro music.

John

7. Sure, Behringer has a place, I sacrifice it to the freeway gods!

I would rather spend money on a small Mackie mixer, or even a Yamaha, for your sons school, it will last forever, under those conditions.

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
  9. Thanks Treena. Thanks Blisshead.

I'd already checked the Behringer threads (see there's now one on the MDX2200; a product of their's I'd also considered).

I'm not going to buy a T1951. Neither will I buy the Beh' mixer I'd considered.

Treena, I don't know how I never thought of Yamaha. I play their basses and have a high respect for Yamaha gear in general. At your suggestion I've looked out their mixers and the MG10/2 looks great for the money.

A while back I seriously considered a small 'desk as a bass preamp because it fits my needs exactly, plus, it would double up for my lad's school PA, too.

That's the way I'll probably go.

Thanks to you both.

Cheers.

John

10. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    We were looking at some Behringer 18 subs, how do these sound? They are not that expensive, we would be using it on our PA set up for live gigs in combination with 15's with horns.