Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BEHRINGER ULTRABASS BB810

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joebass, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Joebass

Joebass

Dec 24, 2003
    Central NY
    Last evening I had a chance to hook my rig (Ampeg SVT4 Pro and Spector NS2) into 2 Behringer Ultrabass 810's. These cabinets sounded fantastic. Good mid's and highs (horn is on or off no variable) and crushing lows! I a/b'ed them against 2 Ampeg 610 HLF's and you guessed it! Behringers had a smoother-tighter- puncher sound (less boomy than the Peg's). I know most on this fourm have had "opinions" about Behringher stuff, but I after a through inspection I really believe these cabinets are well designed,well made and are efficient. They had a heavy carpet like covering and steel grills. The Ampegs already had scuffs and on the tolex covering just from being moved around the showroom floor and flimsy fabric grills.

I put both Behringers on hold and feel compelled to close the deal on these monsters. Got a price quote of 1,000.00 for the pair!

Has anyone else on TB auditioned a Behringer Cab? Any long term owners have any issues? (toasted speakers, cabinets falling apart?).

Just looking for a few biased and unbiased opinions from Behringer owners...

Thanks,

JB

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I couldn't last more than two minutes playing through a Behringer cab about a month ago, total opposite experience as yours. Opinions vary, yours are just as valid as mine.

TWO 8x10's??? Are you sure you weren't experiencing the sound of 16 tens instead of quality sound?

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    mmmm..a Behringer thread.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    :rolleyes:

5. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    they are hartke rip offs, were they the paper or the metal cones??

6. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Hopefully we can just talk about how the speakers sound if we have personally tried them and not what they are copies of. :rollno:

I played the 115 aluminum for about 25 minutes at a local store through a BX3000T head. Made me want to throw the 200 dollars down they were asking for. If I came home with another cab my wife would kill me.

Soundwise I was really impressed. Tight, punchy, clear bass. I played pickstyle and heard each pick clearly and clean. Added some bottom and played a little reggae and had the store shaking. Not bad for 200 but would question longevity with components that are used.

7. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    +1, PLEASE.

8. The BB810 is the paper cone version, the BA810 is the aluminum cones... yes I did just read their email newsletter.

9. Joebass

Joebass

Dec 24, 2003
    Central NY
    Cab was the paper cone version. I did a careful Visual inspection of the Ampeg speakers vs. the ones in the Behringer (made by Bugera) Integrity of the edge and dustcap on the Bugera's was impressive. Construction looked equal to if not superior to the Ampeg (I believe Ampeg uses EV's). I'm not dissing Ampeg here, on the contray, I also currently own an Ampeg 410 HLF so I also have some clue on what sounds decent and whats poop!

I believe that when it comes to quality we have been brain washed as American's to think only EV, Ampeg, Eden, SWR, can make a good product. Take a look at the automobile industry, how many recalls has Ford and GM had in the past year? How many times has Hundai or KIA had massive recalls in the past 2 years?? I know many of us have our brand loyality mindset to get over (OK some of us can't) but when it comes right down to it, we choose the products that serve a need. I needed 16 10's for a metal band to pump out clear, pounding bass lines, to support my one and only guitarist, whom also gave approval to the Behringer over the Ampeg.

Playing bass for 28 years and owned Acoustic, Ampeg (yes I'm owned "the 810 fridge" for a time) Peavey, SWR, Avatar Cabinets..etc... I believe that Behringer has a decent quality product for a decent price. Yes, they even offer a warrany on their products too! Not as good as Hundai or Kia but that says something positive about the integrity of a company.

"Hello, my name is Joe. I own a Behringer product and like it."

JB

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm guessing the Bugera brand is a trademark owned by Behringer as I can't find any information about them. Behringer is the only thing that comes up. Having said that, I will assume that the speakers are of decent quality but I'd be worried more about the integrity, build and strength of the cabinets themselves. Can they take a beating?

11. hmm....im interested to learn more.

12. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    16x10.... wow!!! hope you've got a good back!

I liked the 2x10 (paper cone) model as well.....

Was with a GK 400 & Stingray.... Sounded great....

My 0.02

13. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

It's not just HEAVY, It's SOFA KING HEAVY 176 pounds.

14. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia

Luv it!!!!!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

15. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    (16) 10's. That's alot of air moving goin on.

16. should i get a few of these (2)? im really considering it....i was looking into the SVT810, but i play in larger venues alot and it think it would be better to have a cab on each side..what do you all think??

freakin, i wish they were lighter.

17. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Houston, we have a problem!

Fire that guitarist!

:eyebrow:

18. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Wow. I played through a pair of aluminium coned 2x10's and I wanted to kick them of the stage and jump on them. Thin, bitey sound, no mid range, farted like my uncle after eating too much onion, and after playing a big note, the cones would be still moving!!! I was worried. But I guess I am spoiled a little... QSC PL218 coming on monday... I'm so lucky.

19. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My favorite descriptive comment ever . . . EVER!

20. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    hey I won't argue about that behringer not being good, I own the 300 watt head. BX3000T, for the price you can't beat it and it's features, althoguh now kustoms new stuff is the shizznit. Anyways, I was just saying who they took their ideas from. The Burega(SP?) speakers were originally outsourced, behringer bought them so they would be exclusive. I would def buy one of their cabs, especially with hartke quality being questionable anyways, and the price how can you beat it. You really need 16 10's??? thats a whole lot of bass. Oh well I work for a huge speaker maker, mainly personal audio/PC/home entertainment, but we have a pro audio division. And I am lucky enough to be very good friends with the acoustic guys, who hook me up with custom built cabs with prototypes from eminence from time to time, that blow anything you could buy out of the water. :hyper:

PawleeP likes this.