Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer vs. ampeg rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by norskbass, Mar 31, 2004.

1. I'm a newbie so don't hurt me to bad if this is a stupid question.
    Can a Behringer bx3000t amp with an Avatar 410 cab sound as good as an ampeg B2r amp and ampeg 410 cab?

2. dmielke

dmielke

Mar 25, 2004
    Here, let me see if I can confuse you first..and don't worry, the only thing that would be stupid about a question is that if you don't ask it, IMHO.

"Good" or "Bad" sounds are in the ear of the beholder. That said, both the Ampeg and the Behringer cab will have different sounds. I'm not sure what kind of sound the Behringer has, I'll let someone who has one or has played one answer that. However, the Ampeg has some of that signature "Ampeg" sound, being somewhat warm and having a touch of compression, in my opinion anyway.

The best solution is to go out and play both if you can. I realize that in some places (like my home state of Montana), I'd be lucky to even find the Behringer and I'd have to drive 250 miles (one way) to find an Ampeg. However, the thing you'll have to decide for yourself is if the price difference is enough to make it worthwhile. Don't get me wrong, the Ampeg does sound good, but for the $350 extra you're going to pay, you'll have to decide if it's worth it. Granted, along with the B2R's name you'll probably get a bit more reliability and higher resale value, but if you don't have the money, it just ain't going to fly. Now as far as how the Behringer sounds, I'll let someone else chime in.

Heck, I'm just kind of bored and wanted to help someone. Really do hope this helps, though.

Dustin

3. i own a behringer bx3000t head 300watts and 2 avatar cabs both 8 ohm of course the cabs are 2x12 great stand alone cab and the 2x10 it sounds absolutly amazing. i have never tried the ampeg cab but IMO my rig could beat it. i know some people are going to say that behringer sucks and they just copy other brands but this sucker sounds great and is very loud it beats the hartke 350 and the hartke 350 is 350 watts when the behringer bx3000t head has 300 watts, what the hell?. the avatar cabs in the other hand, there probably wont be to much people that dont like avatar beacuse they sound great as well!!! i have never heard the avatar b4x10 but the 2x12 is absolutly the best stand alone cab. it has the lowness of 15s but the cripness of the 10s, i love it!

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Ampeg make great products. If you can afford it, I would point you that way. When (not it) you get gas for something else, you will have an easier time unloading the Ampeg.

In terms of sound, if Behringers are the Ashdown clone they are accused of, it should be a great sounding head.

5. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    for me, behringer will never be as good as ampeg. i would never compare these products as i find the quality and the sound of the ampeg far better than the behringer. :meh:

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Good one!!!

I would never compare the two. Ampeg makes a far superior product.

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Hey Smash

1. 101 CFMI
    2. The Fox Rocks

How would you vote?

8. In terms of which one will get you through the night for less money? The Behringer will with hands down. In terms of service after the sale and re-sale value? The Ampeg wins hands down. Behringer has a rotten rep for not servicing what they make. Thus I look at their stuff as disposable goods. If it breaks throw it away and buy another. Ampeg has a good warranty and service, there amps are like Fender basses (easy to re-sell). The difference between Avatar and Ampeg is not as plain. Both make good cabinets and will service what they make. The difference here is pretty much a personal thing. Again though I don't thing the re-sale on Avatar will be as good as Ampeg. Would I buy a Behringer amp? If I needed an amp and only had $200 to spend, it would be the 1st thing I'd look at.

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    In all the threads I've read, concerning Ampeg B2R's, I haven't read anything to lead me to believe that they're any better than an Behringer BX3000T....

In fact, the most common response I hear about B2R's is: "Not a bad amp, but that's the quietest 350 watts I've ever heard".

10. Brilliant, another Behringer bashing thread, this time with a twist of Ampeg-arse-kissing.

11. It really amazes me how many TBers are using this valuable site to just joke and ridicule around. This site should be of service to others, i.e. exchange helpful information.

I can very much agree with Dmielke. Important should be to the user:

A. how much you can spend;
    B. A/B the equipment if possible;
    C. Decide which gear fits your style better.

These should be the criterias to be discussed. Sarcasm and infantile comments are unnecessary.
    According to my experience, the older Ampeg models beat most of the newer rigs hands down and are worth every penny. The newer bass amps sound IMO to sterile, especially the B series amps. Tried the B series, didn't fulfill my needs at all.
    When it comes to resale value, go for an Ampeg head and the Avatar cabs.
    If it comes to affordability, go with the Behringer and the Avatars.

12. Where else are we suppose to do this? :confused: :confused:
    :crying: Can't have any fun. :crying:

13. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    That makes absolutely no sense. Go and actually audition the equipment.

14. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I have never played Avatar cabs but in my opinion my sony headphones could beat them all. Even 500 of them. Actually my headphones could beat every amp on the planet.
    assclown.

15. Thanks for the info everyone.

The two rigs are about $450.00 apart in price.
    I like to buy American made products as much as possible.
    But, since I'm still a newbie I may start off with the Avatar
    rig and upgrade to ampeg when my skills and pocket book warrant it.

16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    LOL. Now there's quite a leap of faith, eh? Great logic.

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well, Avatar is American!

18. Why buy American made?? More expensive, you pay $100 alone just for the "Made in America" sticker, I'd be willing to be that non-Americans are making them anyway so if your wanting to "put food on a poor Americans plate" your not doing, and they are more expensive.

Just a personal opinion

19. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland

Atta boy ROMAC....stir it up...stir it up...

20. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Because I have faith in American products and because I don't want to have to call a different country to get customer service.

Not to say foriegn products are bad in any way. In fact my bass is a Warwick.