1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bela Fleck : Watch some idiot offend him!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PocketGroove82, Mar 23, 2009.

1. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    Bela Fleck : Banjo Innovations OH MAN...WHERE TO START!

This video just makes me sick. Bela is a guest artist at this place and they spend a full minute introducing the a-hole (who can barely even play piano) who is suppose to introduce Bela, and then the pompous bastard jumps right into a blues.

After the terrible performance, Bela is like the blues isn't my bag, moron. You know nothing of my work. Then the idiot college professor speaks to him like some some of long island shrink, starts calling jazz standards going on the thin premise that Bela is a "jazz banjo player", and in general, comes off like a totally ignoramus . Obviously, this Lewis Porter guy has know clue who the hell Bela Fleck is and he ruins one of Bela's compositions later in the video! In the middle of the video, someone asks Bela about his banjo influences so he picks for a bit and everyone just laughs like the music that influenced him was retarded (granted, he was picking the beverly hill billies theme)...but still.

This "Philocetetes Center" is a real piece of work. Also, note the way they cry about the whole ponzi scheme which robbed them of all their investments throughout the entire video.

OMFG :rollno: :scowl:

EPIC FAIL and an INSULT to a musical genius.

2. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    Woah. That was a hot mess. And I put it squarely on the shoulders of the piano player.

Son, the idea is to make your guest and/or improvisational partner sound good not show off your chops and miserably fail to build a good musical foundation.

3. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I love how Bela tries to throw out cues to end the lame blues song at the beginning and the guy doesn't pick up on it.

4. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    This jerk is just another "Ward Churchill" type academic who is "holier than thou", and no one can tell him anything...Bela has more patience than i do...I would have packed up my stuff and said "Adios"...

5. painful. poor bela

6. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    Yeah, guys. I'm glad other people notice how rude and awful that "jazz pianist" is. Amazingly, Bela still manages to share a lot of information and insight later on in the vid.

Still though, I love the way that gump of a "jazz pianist" keeps begging Bela to "play free" with him and Bela is just like, "umm...I'll just play something solo". lol. :rollno: It reminds me of some old cliche about musicians who say they play "Free Jazz" and they get away with it, when really they just don't have the ability to play anything coherent. :oops:

He even says something like "I used to play 'All the Things You Are' all the time but now I haven't played it in 10 years"...lol, I want to slap him and say, dude, you're a jazz piano player...umm, playing all the things is nothing to brag about.

I did some research on the guy and it turns out his book, a biography on Coltrane, has been very controversial and most other biographers think it's garbage. lol. He even flounders like a fish during this hilarious interview with All About Jazz.com:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=1215

I love the way he throws out random and unfounded percentages to bulk up his argument...which is a retarded one at best, aaahhh yeah, sorry chief, we all know coltrane was influential.

:p Freaking Laughable. I feel bad for any of his students who buy into his BS. I'm saving this video as an example of "how not to accompany someone better than you."

7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Lord have mercy! That guy doing the intro sounds like every other jackass self-perceived intellectual I meet in my travels. So full of himself he can't tell it's really just poopiee. blah ... blah ... blah ... freekin' turd. :spit:

And that piano player? He left no room for Bela ... but Bela made some room when he saw it, and made that piano look like a complete fool. Bela should have addressed the audience, invited them to the room next door, and left the piano player sitting in his own mess.

8. alapantera

alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    I haven't watched the whole thing, but some of what Bela says is still interesting. The pianist is a terrible interviewer and seems like he's never played with other musicians before. Just very awkward to watch at times.

9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I seriously have to doubt an "educator" who can't pronounce "repertoire"....

10. Oric

Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Georgetown, Kentucky
    at the beginning, I can see Bela's look of annoyance... I never would have imagined that, it must be hard to bug such a nice person. This piano player sums up every problem I have with modern jazz study. Miles Davis probably would have had a choice word for him.
    edit: oh man, I just noticed people laughing when he starts the Scruggs style playing. I would have just left after that

11. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    That was some of the worst music I've ever heard! I love it when Bela politely mentions that the chords Dr Moron was playing were wrong...

12. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I can't help but think about the professor telling his friends that the banjo picker totally messed up his recital.

13. Ha...2:53 he said it all....

14. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Exactly...