1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Benefit shows

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ChadonBass, Feb 12, 2013.

1. ChadonBass

ChadonBass

Mar 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My youngest brother needs a kidney transplant. There's more to the story, but that's not why I'm posting here.

I want to do a benefit show for him to help raise the money. Do I need a non-profit business to run this legit? I'd like to ask local stores for donations and such and think that having the non-profit lable would allow me to approach largers businesses.

Any other advice would help. He was really into music (still is, but can't play right now) before his most recent issue, so I want to be able to approach the music stores and such within an area.

Figured someone here's done soemthing like this before.

Thanks
    Chad

2. Chad, Wishing you brother well. My Keyboard players son has cancer and he has had benefits for him and fund raisers. I will ask him and try to get back to you with the answer. RTS

3. Chad this is what he had to say by the way he is a lawyer. hope this helps RTS

Anyone can raise money for charity. If it's a one time event, it's not worth getting the 501c status. Plus he wouldn't be able to get it in time anyway.

It sounds like it's not for charity anyway, it's just for his brother. So no, there is no need for not-for-profit. He should be careful to word his info to people and indicate that the money is directly going to his brother and what for.

Businesses and stores may be willing to give money for a local person. But they will not be able to deduct it as a donation since he will not have not for profit status. So they may not be as willing to give much money. He should make it clear that he is going to give them some "good will" exposure

4. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    We've played two benefits, both for different causes. As far as I know, you don't need to set up a 501c3 unless you're gonna be doing it a lot, and so long as you let the people there know what their money is going toward, I'm pretty sure you don't have to worry about any legal issues.

5. ChadonBass

ChadonBass

Mar 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That's what I wanted to know. Thanks!

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Good luck with your benefit, man! I hope your brothers transplant goes well.

7. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Sending positive thoughts for his recovery, and for the benefit and other things you do to help make it happen.

8. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Getting a non-profit ID and creating a legal entity is not an easy process to get approval and it takes a long time. I am involved with several non-profit organizations.

Good luck and best wishes for his good health and recovery.

9. ChadonBass

ChadonBass

Mar 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the positive vibes.

We got it set up for April 19th and 20th out my way. If there's anyone in the area North of Pittsburgh that's willing to play for a bit, we have a couple spots open.

10. That's great! Good luck with the Benefit and wishing your brother well

11. ChadonBass

ChadonBass

Mar 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I'm happy to report that we had 170 people in (paid) attendance friday night and 200 saturday. It will go a long way in helping him with the transplant when it't time.

12. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    That's great to hear. :) Continuing to send positive thoughts your way.

13. That is wonderful news ChadonBass thanks for letting us know how you made out. Please keep us informed RTS