1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bergantino 210 or 212???

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by timobee4, Oct 30, 2010.

1. G'day fellas! I had to upgrade a bit and bought an AI Clarus+ from Bob to accommodate my DPA 4099B as it has phantom power. My question is about the cabinet I should get to get a sweet sound. (If I have the best sound I can only blame myself if my playing sounds crap ;) Anyway I just love what I read about the Berganto Cabinets! I have used 210+horn cabinets before for upright and I really loved it for its focused sound cutting through even a 20 pcs Big Band. I would try both 210 & 212 to save you all from answering or giving me your well appreciated opinions, but the nearest Bergantino dealer is 900 kilometers away from where I live!!! I have a little over a week before my amp arrives so pls give me some food for thoughts! Many Thanks Tone :)
    PS: Also open to suggestions about other cabs

2. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    212 for sure

3. Thanks a lot! Very curious because I had a bet with another DB player that most people will suggest 212! I rather loose the bet to be honest if through overall vote for 212 I can't argue, USA is double bass country that is why I am asking and supporting this forum!

4. I use a bergantino 112 and it gets loud enough for any jazz gig and sounds incredible. But maybe the 212 is better, I dunno...

5. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I've got a Berg AE210 that I'll stick under my AI Ten2 if the gig calls for it or if I need a more directional sound for an outdoor or "crossover" kind of gig. It sounds great and is easy to carry.

daltontomlinson likes this.
  6. I thought of 112 but it is only 300w RMS perfect for my jazz trio but not in a big band rehearsal situation against 20 ppl. I need volume, bedroom, at least 400W, the 212 is 500 so my Clarus + has some breathing without becoming a barbecue. Ideally I need 112 & 210 but I can't afford that so I am thinking of 212 but I still won't compromise my tone because although it is more powerful than the 210 is it as focused?? Remember I only play upright I don't double on bass guitar, I know thatelectric bass players love the 212. Thanks T.

7. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    The Bergantino designs are great. The AE series is more present in the upper midrange than the HT's (which I own). I use a modular setup: an HT112ER + EX112ER(no tweeter) for both electric and DB. When I A/B the two cabinets, I detect little difference between the models when playing with a group. The EX's frequency range tapers off above 4k.

Going modular with two HT112EX's would give you the flexibility to take only what you needed for playing with smaller ensembles- unless big band is the only thing you will need this for. If you like more presence in the mids, two AE112's would be another contender.

8. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Roger, that's interesting you describe the AE series as having more upper mids. To my ears, they sound like they have a more "flat" response than the HS series. I suppose it all depends on what you're putting through them, especially when it comes to upright bass.

9. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    Pat,
    I haven't compared the AE to the HS series, but the HT's seem a little more "relaxed" in the mids with the electric. I would like to A/B the AE112 & the HT's with the upright sometime.

Compared to when I was in college (16-20 years ago), today's speaker cab designs are in a different league.

10. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
  11. That looks like a killer gear!!!!!

12. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    Well, more is more.

I use a 1 12 and a 2 10 Hartke. It's a nice combo and plenty for most rooms and I can also go DI into a house system in large rooms.

But an extra 12? Sure, why not.