1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bergantino B/Amp at NAMM

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    The B|Amp is a great tool to get more comfortable with frequency adjustments! Play around with it. For example, you could keep everything flat, and boost one of the four knobs say 4db. Then go in the menu and change the frequency of that knob, and keep notes of the frequencies you preferred boosted. Do that for all four knobs in their frequency range, and do it all over again with each knob cut 4db. Combine what you liked boosted/cut and that should take you at least to the ballpark of a tone you like.

2. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    I did what you guys said. I started out at set settings and adjusted as I went along. I have some pretty nice settings. Best part is, that I can switch between totally different tones at the push of a button. This is fancy.

kevk, Munjibunga, ExaltBass and 7 others like this.
  3. Jim Bergantino

Jim Bergantino Commercial User

Feb 27, 2003
    Bergantino Audio Systems
    Just wanted to give all B|AMP owners a quick update on a soon to be released firmware upgrade, version 4.50 and 4.50B. Based on some very helpful and insightful feedback from @Dragonlord and further input and testing from @husky123, all three effects, O/D, Dist1, and Dist2 have been updated. Also, as stated a while back, all menu timeouts have been increased by at least a factor of 2, giving the user more time to experiment with different settings without having the screen time out back to the home screen.

In addition, we have updated the Bluetooth firmware to now work with the newly released Airturn BT200S-2 and BT200S-4 pedals. These 2 and 4 switch pedals now have real foot switches, which will address those who felt the PED pedals membrane switches didn't exude confidence as to whether or not the switch was engaged. The 2 switch model will perform exactly like the current pedal in that pressing and holding the left and right pedals will toggle Mem3 and Mute respectively. The 4 switch version will assign Mem 3 to the 3rd switch and Mute to the 4th. So now Mem3 can be switched instantaneously like Mem1 and Mem2, giving a total of 4 scenes (including the home screen) for quick, on the fly switching between saved settings. If you already have our Dongle, you can purchase either of these pedals direct from Airturn or from one of their many dealers and just re-pair your dongle to the new pedal. Your PED pedal can easily be reallocated to a page turner for you or a band member by re-paring it to an ipad or similar device. And finally, some of you who liked to keep the dongle in the USB port when not using the pedal, experienced a "motorboat" type of sound, which was basically the dongle continuously searching for the pedal. With these latest firmware updates, the attempt to pair will time out after 1 minute of no pairing, eliminating this artifact.

Here's a link to the BT200S-4: AirTurn BT200S-4 Controller | AirTurn

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018 at 9:50 AM
    JoePP, D Bowden, LM Bass and 17 others like this.
  4. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I can not wait to get this amp!!!!

Gfkfloyd likes this.
  5. husky123

husky123

Jul 6, 2006
    Leesburg, VA
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses and Bergantino Audio Systems
    This amp is the gift that keeps on giving!

JoePP, kevk, ExaltBass and 2 others like this.
  6. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Very cool! Where do I get the dongle?
    Or, will any dongle work?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018 at 12:34 PM
  7. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    It appears that this amp is predominantly used for rock bass. Do you offer anything for Gospel, Praise and Worship, Jazz, Blues etc bass playing?

8. Jim Bergantino

Feb 27, 2003
    Bergantino Audio Systems
    I’m not quite sure what gave you that impression. It’s a very versatile amp that can be used across all genres.There are certainly other amps that may be voiced towards one style that may get you there quicker, but I wouldn’t look at the B/Amp, or forte’ for that matter, as catering to any one particular style over another. Others can chime in here and share their experiences as well.

kevk, Juan Lauda, Joshua and 2 others like this.
  9. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I do play rock but I would definitely not consider the B|Amp a "rock" amp. I would wholeheartedly recommend it to any player. If anything, I would actually think that some might consider it mostly for the genres you mentioned, to whom I would say "no, it is great for rock too"...

kevk, Juan Lauda and ExaltBass like this.
  10. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Yeah, it's just a killer all around amp.

Want to scoop your mids? Go for it. Want to add a little hair on your sound? Go for it. Want some really nice compression? Go for it.

Don't want to do any of that? Go for it. :)

kevk and Jim Bergantino like this.
  11. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Versatile it is, but as far as the OD and Distortion effects. Definitely the most versatile amp I have ever came to know. Just the fact that I can set up 3-4 different EQ settings all with different tones is remarkable. Personally, in my playing, I don't see how OD and distortion would fit in. Im sure there is a way, I just haven't figured it out yet.

12. Jim Bergantino

Feb 27, 2003
    Bergantino Audio Systems
    You're certainly not alone. There are actually some players I have spoken to over the last few months and when I ask them what firmware version they're using, often times it's several revs back. The reason...since they don't use the effects they didn't feel the need to upgrade. The effects are there for those who use them, but if they don't fit into your style of playing, you can obviously just leave them off. One thing the B|AMP and forte' do very well is clean. Add a little compression (7 and 7 in the VRC menu) and you're good to go!;-}

Munjibunga, kevk, Joshua and 2 others like this.
  13. Yes. So, so versatile. I play blues, jazz, soul, funk, rock and country. The B|Amp suits all these fine... but, I'm a firm believer that virtually any amp can work for any style of music. E.G. I use an Orange AD200B all tube amp for funk and soul and jazz, even with upright.
    I'm also a few upgrades old;) ... in more ways that one :woot: as I've been really happy with it how it is.
    But. . I think I'll give this new one a go, I can always go back and reload the older one that I've got stored . :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

14. Juan Lauda

Juan Lauda

Sep 14, 2008
    Sydney
    That's great news, Jim! I've been trying to put my finger on the source of this tiny noise, and was afraid it might be due to a switch mode power supply issue. So glad you've been able to eliminate it. Thanks again for such a wonderful amp. Respect!

Jim Bergantino likes this.
  15. Jim Bergantino

Feb 27, 2003
    Bergantino Audio Systems
    You would purchase them thru us with the pedal. We’re in the process of getting stock in and updating our website to reflect the new pedal options.

kevk and ExaltBass like this.
  16. gl1234

gl1234

Aug 7, 2015
    I use a Forte amp and HDN112 cabinet, playing folk/bluesy-jazzy/"americana" music. Two guitars (one acoustic), mandolin/dobro, my elec. bass, no drums. The Forte/HDN112 amplify the sound of my bass: warm and clear. I don't use any distortion or effects other than a bit of compression (from the Forte).

Munjibunga likes this.
  17. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I am sure its a great amp and kind of advanced, But I never could understand the reason for putting in compression. Many of the included compression knobs, like when I had the Eden 800 and currently the Thunderfunk, I always notice even at low settings or off the amp does not sound the same tone wise. The tone should not be affected. Is it the same here? I always felt there are many comps these days that do a better job.
    Don't take this as an attack as I am very interested in the near future to purchase this amp.

18. gl1234

gl1234

Aug 7, 2015
    Maybe a bit off-topic here since it is a B|Amp thread, but to answer your question relative to the Forte amp...

The Forte amp exactly met my needs for sound, power, simplicity and high quality build. I would say it will drive whatever kind of music you play - unless i suppose you want something really distorted or overdriven, in which case use a pedal or perhaps the B|Amp (though others will have to describe its distortion and overdrive capabilities).

Truth be told i would have been fine without the compression feature though i find at the 12 o'clock setting it adds a nice subtle fullness to the sound. But i don't play at high volume or slap/pop/zing so don't really take advantage of what it can do. Again, that is probably best left to others to describe.

Hope this helps...

Bassist30 likes this.
  19. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    The tone is not affected, at all. Excellent compressor.

Mark

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 1:53 AM
    Omnisphere and Bassist30 like this.
  20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Considering there are four bands of semi-fully-parametric EQ (the bandwidths are a selection of narrow, medium or wide), I'd say you can find the right tone for pretty much any genre.