1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bergantino B/Amp at NAMM

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Jan 22, 2015.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    My mom is from just up the coast in Maine, and she somehow manages to add R's to everything. Florida is Florider, Cuba is Cuber. My poor cousin Liza Beth - she HATES when I call her Lizer Beth... but how could I not?!?

mwbonsall, d00dr and Jim Bergantino like this.
  2. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    My old sales VP is from New Hampt-ya and he was all about Quoter. Quoter is King!

I say y’all too much

Jim Bergantino and RocketMusic like this.
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii is nice!

Jim Bergantino likes this.
  4. rodneyat

rodneyat Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Come on down to Atlanta anytime. You know the Turner Inn always has a vacancy for you. I can smoke up some good southern BBQ, beer on tap or more wine than you could ever think of drinking. Well, and if bourbon is your thing...we can take care of that too. :)

Jim Bergantino likes this.
  5. Your white!

6. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Can someone help me out? What is the purpose of the speaker profiles? What do they really do?

7. Simple answer....
    Make em sound better.
    :cool::cool::cool:
    Someone else will be able to explain it properly, but, scientifically, they sculpt the amp to suit the cab. :roflmao:

Dunno, but they work! My NV215 sounds great as is, but with the profile engaged, it sounds thicker, tighter and more punchy. :hyper:

iwearpumas and Joshua like this.
  8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    For the most part, the profiles are designed to tweak the EQ in a specific fashion for each cab (or cab combo) so as to bring the overall response of the system even closer to "flat." That being said, most of Jim's cabs are already very balanced and fairly transparent to start with (the NV series being the notable exception, as they have a different design goal).

iwearpumas, rodl2005 and kevk like this.
  9. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Is there any harm in using a different speaker profile with the wrong speaker? Like if I use the HDN212 profile for the HDN410 cab, is there any harm in that?

10. husky123

husky123 Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Leesburg, VA
    Endorsing Artist: Bergantino Audio Systems
    Not in the least bit. Just use your ears...if you like the way a certain profile sounds as a starting point, then go for it.

Jim just tweaks each profile to get the cabinet very close to “flat”...all things considered (room acoustics , etc)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    iwearpumas and rodl2005 like this.
  11. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Ok thanks so much. I thought ore was involved, like power supply and ohm changing.

12. Jim Bergantino

Jim Bergantino Commercial User

Feb 27, 2003
    Bergantino Audio Systems
    Just wanted to add that I included a generic profile with the last firmware update which may also be worth experimenting with. Not precise to any one cabinet, which tends to give a slightly warmer response overall and works great with all non-Bergantino cabs as well.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  13. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    I’m still in awe that my amp has software that can be updated.

dood and mwbonsall like this.
  14. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Me too!

Mark

15. I'm a few versions of software behind, just didn't bother to update because I'm happy, but this new generic cab profile has me intrigued. Interested to see how it goes with my Fender 410 Neo.

rodl2005 likes this.
  16. Jim Bergantino

Feb 27, 2003
    Bergantino Audio Systems
    You don’t have to update the firmware to load the Generic profile since it’s a separate file and loads in thru the USB profile load menu.

dood, rodl2005, Joshua and 1 other person like this.
  17. Oh thats cool! I'll get it happening soon!

rodl2005 likes this.
  18. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    I'm not that knowledged in frequencies, so I'm having a hard time adjusting them to get a tone that I'm comfortable with.

19. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Set them the same as the Forte to start. Bass 63Hz - Low mid250Hz - High mid 1kHz- Treble 3.5 kHz. Set the frequency width to wide. That should get you in the ballpark. I started there and truthfully have done very little since. I may boost or cut a tiny bit depending n the stage/room, but very often I just run it flat.

iwearpumas likes this.
  20. Jim Bergantino

Feb 27, 2003
    Bergantino Audio Systems
    You could also go into the extended menus and reset to factory settings which will get you pretty much to the same place. My only other advise is “less is more”. Not sure where your gains are at but if you’re more than 3 or 4 dB on any band you may want to consider going back to flat (assuming you have a profile selected) and start from there. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    5StringPocket likes this.