Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Berry Oakley

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JaWa, Apr 21, 2005.

1. JaWa

JaWa

Apr 21, 2005
    here and there
    I was going to dinner with my dad, and we were listening to the Allman Brothers on the way. I have never really listened to them before, but I noticed something. Berry Oakley is freakin' awesome... Just think everyone should agree with me...

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I agree! Great tone too! Of course I'm probobly older then your dad, thats damm scarry! :D

3. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Yes, it's a shame his body of work was cut short. Don't know what you were listening to, but the bouncing, driven bass line on Statesboro Blues to open 'Live at Fillmore East' may be my all time fave.

Also, check out the extended solo on 'Mountain Jam' off "Eat a Peach." :bassist:

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I'm old :D ......so I got to see Berry play a bunch in N.Y.C. before he died......one of the reasons I picked up bass!

5. The best jam bassist, in my opinion... just check out his live stuff...

6. Berry Oakley kills . Big fan. Speaking of the allmans, im goin to see them on may 15, cant wait.

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Academy of Music on 14th Street or wherever the heck it was, was where I saw him. I'm thinking summer of '71.

Great bass player, great band. What a shame.

8. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Berry was a baaaad man! RIP

9. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

I've been agreeing with you since 1978. That's when I was introduced to the 'Brothers. Too bad he was already gone by then.

You didn't ask, but my personal fave is "Blue Sky" off of Eat a Peach. Always makes me feel better, no matter how bad it might be.

If you get a chance, check out the Allman Brothers compilation and give 'Little Martha" a listen. On the collection, Berry's part actually makes it to the record. Exactly like I would have expected it...perfect!

dcr

10. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Ah.....the Academy of Music, I saw many a show there. I also saw the Allman Bros at the Fillmore during their March run, and at the Schafer fest in central park for about 1.50 in the summer of '71.
    A year later a saw Berry for the last time after Duane's death at the Capitol Theater in Passaic N.J....so sad :(

11. Berry Oakley is the man!!! I got into the Allmans after listening to their first Fillmore album, and wore it out. I learned so much from that record. How to move around a chord and a set of changes, how to write a counter-melody to what the guitars were doing, time, taste, and tone, and every time I use a pick, I play a lot like Berry. Unfortunately I was born too late to see him in person, but I have great respect for his playing, and love the band that he played in.

12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    He's in my profile as a main influence - I've always dug his stuff.

His line in Les Brers is sweet!

13. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii

+1

14. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Berry is one bad mofo,, I hacked up one of my first Jazz basses with a Tele pup and all kinds of garb to make it sound like the Tractor! I just made a mess of a perfectly good bass,lol
    When his bass kicks into one way out It's like He takes over the whole song with that killer line and monster tone!!

Who was the little skinny white boy that played the Alembic that took over for him after his death, He wasn't no slouch either, I seen a live clip from around 75 with this dude and have no idea who he was or is.?

15. Thor

16. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Thank you bro,, Is he still with us?

17. Thor

He passed in 1983 at the age of 34.

An article about him and his band Sea Level was in Guitar Player mag in 1980.

See here.

18. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    David Goldflies was the skinny white kid, he joined after Lamar left to focus on Sea Leavel. He was a great player too! I have a live DVD from the period he was in the band, and he takes a nice solo on his Alembic :bassist: Lamar is another sad story in itself....he died pennyless :(

19. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA

I was just going to hit the reply button then I read your post Jerry,, David was the guy I was talking about.
    [​IMG]
    Great read on Lamar though thanks Thor, I can't believe he died pennyless, What's up with some of the greatest players dying pennyless. Truley Sad :(

20. Thor

Well, don't be too sad, Funk.

You may die penniless, but your wife will have 3 basses
    to remember you by, and 45 Jazz basses and 4 rigs extra to
    sell for cash. ;)

Sea Level was a pretty good band, btw, they did get some
    exposure in those years.