Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best 410 for a 5 String

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BNM, Feb 26, 2006.

1. BNM

BNM

Feb 4, 2006
    Queens, New York
    Both the cabs that I currently own are bottomed out by my 5-String Spector. They are both SWR, a Workingman's 1x15 and a LA10. I'm in the market for a 410 cab, and I'm just looking for opinions on which 410s can handle the low B the best.

Thanks in advance,
    Ben

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    My Avatar B410 Neo handles my Low B like a monster!!! I have never heard a 410 yet that can handle the low b so well! Check my sig for my short review.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Any reason you are really set on a 410? Whats the price range?

4. BNM

BNM

Feb 4, 2006
    Queens, New York
    I was thinking a 410, but I'm open to all other suggestions. I'm not too experienced so any advice would be nice. I was also thinking about a 410 and 115 together, but that would probably be too much for me. I'll spend what I have to in order to make this happen, and I'll probably buy used.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What kind of tone are you looking for? What do you play?

6. BNM

BNM

Feb 4, 2006
    Queens, New York
    Basically I'm looking for a clean, smooth tone, that works for rock or jazz. I don't know if that helps.

7. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    For some reason, I think you'd dig a 212...

8. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    I prefer Eden's D410XST.

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Bergantino 322 if you have a local dealer would be my top choice.

10. BNM

BNM

Feb 4, 2006
    Queens, New York
    I've been considered getting an Eden setup, their stuff looks very nice. A 212 would be loud? I'm looking for a big difference over my 115. I'm gonna try out some Eden heads and cabs next time I get the chance.

11. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    An eden 4x10 cab would be perfect for you.

if you want to maintain the punch needed for a good slap tone stay with 10s

12. BNM

BNM

Feb 4, 2006
    Queens, New York
    Ok cool. And then in the future I could fill the sound out with a 115 if i wanted? Oh and thank you to everyone who posted.

13. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'd definitely check out eden or aguilar (I'm partial to Aguilar personally).

I'd recommend the Eden 410XST or Aguilar GS410 depending on what exactly you want. According to the specs, the Aguilar is capable of a little more high end (2 more kHz); but isn't tuned quite as deep as the XST (by 4 Hz).

Definitely try stuff out. Eden makes a really solid product, my first cab was an Eden. I'm just throwing out another possibility.

There's also a $200 difference in price.

Berg 322 is a VERY solid choice as well. 2 10s and a 12. Amazing sound.

14. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    If you like the SWR tone, why don't you try a goliath cab.. There are so many that are good and very useable, BTW, what amp are you driving it with? Depending on what you want, each cab has so much to offer. The eden, aguilar, and epifani would be my recommendations for all around versatile cabs... too many to choose from

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I'm to thinking UL's from Epifani and the GS series of Aguilar are great solid choices in cabs that will not kill your wallet.

16. I'd have to go with the Ampeg SVT-410HLF! That thing can get down! :D

17. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'm partial to the Acme B-2 and B-4 cabs but the Eden CXC combo also did a remarkable job. You're going to be hard-pressed to find a mid to high end 4 X 10 that doesn't do a decent job. Lots of great stuff on the market!

Riis

18. +1 Also.... as many of us have said in other threads.... a huge low B fundamental is not necessarily a good thing in a gigging situation. The Eden410XLT, which has a 3db roll off at 45, consistently produces the best B string I hear in a live situation.

19. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Try the upscale SWR cabs. GIII or G Sr. Very nice.

Shoot, for the money you're looking to pay you can get one of those Aguilar 810s that MF is blowing out. You won't worry about lows anymore.

20. Defnitely the 410HLF as far as my experience goes.

Plus, KEITH BMI PLAYS THEM!!!