1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best 5 Pedals Under $120

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by smogg, Dec 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Big +1

I've tried every phaser known to man and have settled on the Bad Stone.

smogg likes this.
  2. Bigger?
    Don't let the size of the OJ put you off (it IS tiny tho!)
    Between its gain, tone and mids dials you can go from subtle and warm to Grindy as ****!!
    I flippin LOVE mine!!

3. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    - Boss Oc-2
    - Boss Cs-2
    - DOD Fx-10
    - DOD 250
    - MXR Phase 90

JCooper, smogg and torza like this.
  4. King Weapon

King Weapon

Sep 20, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    It sounds INCREDIBLE after the Whammy. Have a sustained chord going while you pitch everything else .

ukedealer likes this.
  5. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    Agreed... I'm still curious as to how the Saucy Box sounds on bass

BadExample likes this.
  6. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    It might help to decide if you listen to the same guy doing the demo. I think this fella is really good.

Bassic Gear Review

My inexperienced take is the Green Rhino has the ability to be just a bit more aggressive and maybe leans towards something between the Pork Loin and the Swollen Pickle. Of course as you say, fate may determine your choice, and that's not all bad. You might listen to his Swollen Pickle demo to, as reference or even another option. Subtle is in the ear of the beholder.

smogg and MTN.bass72 like this.
  7. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I wonder the same. Way Huge minds think alike, eh?

MTN.bass72 likes this.
  8. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    @BadExample .. I recently stumbled upon the Bassic Gear Review guy.. love his demos.. short ,sweet , to the point, plus informative without 10 minutes of babbling and 30 seconds of bad wanking off playing

BadExample likes this.
  9. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    What I did write was that the American and California Sound pedals from Yojo are bigger than the Orange Juice and by that I meant totally literally, as in physical size.

Anyway thanks for the answer, sounds like that will be the one of the three I'll buy then.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    ukedealer likes this.
  10. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    Buy a multi-fx (like the Zoom MS60b) and then decide how many of those effects are useful. You may be surprised to find out that outside of a tuner, none of them are.

You may find that other than things like some dirt, a tuner, and a compressor you don't need anything.

If it were me, I'd buy the MS60b, a wah, and a Muff variant.

smogg likes this.
  11. John B jr

John B jr

Oct 16, 2016
    Sunnyvale, CA
    $129 is an important upgrade. The regular size Corona Chorus is 129 as are a slew of other worthy considerations.

+1 on the TC Mojo Mojo and throw in the Dark Matter (both $50) and the Rottweiler in the punching-above-their-weight dirt pedals. You could easily fill your dance card with their mini-pedals.

I don't work for them or sell anything but I like TC.

smogg likes this.
  12. reddesert

reddesert

Mar 19, 2015
    Joyo American Sound overdrive/preamp, $30
    Monoprice chromatic tuner pedal, $20
    Boss CE-5 chorus, used $45
    DOD FX20B phaser, used $25
    Monoprice 9V power brick and daisy chain, $10

Total = $130 not including shipping.

Okay, so I'm $10 over budget and I cheated a little by counting the power brick, but you're going to need the power brick. There are other, cheaper, pedals, but I can't comment on them.

smogg likes this.
  13. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    @BadExample thanks for the link. I listened to the three pedals and to my ears they all sound great. However, IMO the Swollen Pickle is too over the top for my needs. The Green Rhino sounds like it could work well (set conservatively), is in the right price range & I really like the cosmetics. Overall the Pork Loin sounds a little better to my ears but with a higher price tag. I may have to be a bit patient and wait for the right deal to pop up in the classifieds. I do see a Way Huge in my future.

I had no idea there were so many great affordable pedals out there. I can see how easy it is to get caught up in pedal mania. Low cost does not mean poor sound. All the great responses to this thread have really helped me decide what I really need for a small live board for the music I play (70s-80s-90s-early 00s rock) Also, all the great recommendations and links have helped me create a short list of pedals I like/want.

To start with it will be tuner (already have 2) + OD + modulation & as mentioned a power supply to run the pedals. For OD Wage Huge gets first nod assuming I can score one used here. For modulation the EHX Bass Clone appears to fit the criteria perfectly so it is currently first choice. Second choice (on the cheap) a used Boss Chorus or Boss Flanger.

I can justify (I know...down the rabbit hole I go...lol) a second OD for stacking dirt. Many many great choices for od/dirt that please my ear so a short list is being compiled. (IE: used Barbershop, BSF w/JHS mod, Joyo JF-02, just to name a few) Will find a deal on power supply when the time comes. What a fun thread this has become. LET THE GAMES BEGIN!
    EDIT: starting to think the Green Rhino & Southampton Fifth Gear (the newer 3 knob version) might stack nicely. Oh what a can of worms I've opened ;)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  14. JUST what I wanted to hear, thank you!!

Thank YOU!
    And you won't regret it!!!

torza and NoiseNinja like this.
  15. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Between you and a few YouTube videos, I'll be getting an OJ to pair with my MXR Bass Distortion. ^^

ukedealer and JCooper like this.
  16. JCooper

JCooper Shen Qi Jing He Yi Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Vermont
    Yeah, that OJ seems like its calling to me also….

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    ukedealer and 4StringTheorist like this.
  17. Gdeak

Gdeak

May 21, 2016
    San Diego
    +1 for Zoom B3. Tons of pedal sims, amp sims etc. About 1/3 sound terrible, but so what? At least 10 sound really good once you tweak em. For a pedal newb like me, spending a few hours trying to get a bunch of effects to sound good was a real education, even before I started mixing & matching (you can use up to 3 at once). Also: it's durable, has phones jack, USB, balanced mic PP out, effects loop in, tuner (kinda crappy but still), looper (too short but occasionally useful), metronome, rhythms.
    I know the thread said $120, but I got a mint unit on Reverb for $140 - not too far off, and considering the functionality, a great choice for your first pedal.

BadExample likes this.
  18. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Here's my list (I could not narrow it to only 5):
    TC Electronics Mojomojo
    DOD Carcosa
    Mooer Tender Octave
    Line 6 M5
    Boss LS-2
    DOD FX10

In fact I could go to any gig with only these pedals.

19. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Update:
    Here is my starter board (so far) as of mid Jan. Boss TU-2 > Joyo UD > EHX Bass Clone. Got a three pack of six inch Planet Waves Classic patch cables and a Donner DPA-1 9V power adapter (1000mA up to 5 pedals). I do intend to add a Boss LS-2 for clean blend asap. When budget allows a used Pork Loin or Fifth Gear V2 will be added.
    01-16-17 New FX Board.jpg

20. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Used pedals. Not too much that isn't available used for under $120.

Vick Audio Black Russian Fuzz. Probably $100 used.

smogg likes this.