1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best 5 String for under $300 ? Fender MB-5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by m0ranwad, Mar 5, 2013.

1. m0ranwad

m0ranwad

Jan 29, 2013
    I'm currently selling my Made in Mexico Fender Stratocaster, which is worth (at the most) $300.

However, I did get an offer for a trade. The trade would be for a Fender MB-5 made in Japan.

I can't find a whole lot about this bass, and I'm wondering if I'm better suited taking the money and putting it towards a different bass.

2. No, that Fender is a great bass. I was going to suggest a Yamaha BB425, but that Fender is probably of better quality.

3. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Grosbeak, Yamaha, Fender, BSX. I’m Marc! Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    The MB-5 is a cool instrument! I had a nice one once. I would do the trade if the bass is in good condition.

4. The MB5 has a really close string spacing. It was either 2 bridge or 2 neck pickups for a Jazz4 that fit it. Cant remember, but that was 6 years ago when I swapped em P & MB5.
    The MIJ ones seemed to have more life in the sound, where the squire was pretty bland and noisy until a pickup swap.

Id do it in a heartbeat if it was the real Fender one. Id ask for a little cash if it was the Squier version, but would probably still do it anyways. Those don't show up too often

5. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Grosbeak, Yamaha, Fender, BSX. I’m Marc! Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    The string spacing is close like an Ibanez would be. It was also made in Fujigen like many older MIJ Ibanezes. It's like a Fendernez.

6. m0ranwad

m0ranwad

Jan 29, 2013
    Like the idea of the close string spacing, as I play mainly fingerstyle.

Thanks for the input

7. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Norwich, CT
    Like close string spacing? Want to spend $300? Please get the sterling by musicman sub5!!!
    Seriously I love mine, it's getting more play than my American deluxe jazz V!

Attached Files:

8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    You should play the SUB.

9. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    I had a Fender MB5. It was a nice bass and weighed under 7 lbs. Very easy on the back, but it certainly had some neck dive.
    The string spacing is narrow, but usable... nowhere near as narrow as the MK 5 string acoustic I owned. I could barely play the MK, but I had no trouble playing the MB5.
    I sold only because I realized I am not a 5 string player. The person I sold it to is a neighbor and a 5 string fanatic. He loves it to death and it's one of his favorite 5ers.
    If it is a Fender MB5 it's a fair trade. It's not a steal though. Fender MB5s are a bit rare, but when you do find one they're usually in $300 range.
    The Squier MB5s are nowhere near as nice as the Fender version. There are also a lot more of them around. I could have bought one last week for 50 bucks.

10. Barca_bass

Barca_bass

May 22, 2011
    If you are open to other budget 5-string ideas, this is one you should probably consider. I cannot say anything about the Fender as I have never played one, but the sub5 is a very solid bass for its price. It his heavy though, and has a thick neck. If these are non-issues with you, it is worth considering.

11. kavvmxuh

kavvmxuh

Mar 5, 2013
    I was going to suggest a Yamaha BB425, but that Fender is probably of better quality.[​IMG]

12. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Norwich, CT
    Heavy? I find it to be very light, in fact it's much lighter than my fender. I even switched back to a regular sized strap instead of my wide guys. I do tend to keep the treble control nearly all the way up and the bass at mid, I wish there was more control in the treble control but the sound really cuts through in a band setting.

13. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    The Fender MB-5 is a great bass, it was my first five string and the bass I played throughout the college era. Bought it in '96.

I upgraded the pickups and installed an EMG preamp which really gave the thing some extra zing and really helped make the B string stand out (with a good setup, the B on this bass is plenty capable).

String spacing is pretty narrow, somewhere in the neighborhood of about 16.5mm I believe, and at this point I much prefer the wider spaced 19mm five string basses.

But it's served me well the last 10 years as a capable onstage backup and for those songs requiring an alternate tuning. And of course hanging onto it for sentimental reasons. :)

Certainly an odd duck Fender and more Ibanez-ish than anything else, but unique and a good buy if you are comfortable with the neck.

Lonnybass

14. Barca_bass

Barca_bass

May 22, 2011

Eh, it's heavy to me. I haven't weighed it so I don't know an exact number. Of course my main player is my Lakland 44-01 which is insanely light IME. I use a Neotech Mega Bass strap and I barely feel the Lakland. The sub5 starts to make its presence known after a while. However, I'm sure if you compared the sub5 to say an EBMM 5 or certain fender models (as well as many other brands) then it probably is light for a 5er.