1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best 5 string Jazz bass under $2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassworship1, May 22, 2020.

1. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I’m wanting to add a Jazz bass to my lineup and wanting a JJ setup. What is some of the best basses out there in the $2000 and less range?

movinngruvin likes this.
  2. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
  3. Not a traditional Jazz bass design, but I'm going warwick thumb.

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    kiesel for sure. i replaced my 70's f bass vf5 with an ash/maple carvin jb5 and havent missed the f bass. they default 70's spacing, but 60's is an option if you order.

MAXSPINRUN, 74hc and Dr. Cheese like this.
  5. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Used Sadowsky or Fender Elite or Roscoe Beck .
    Sire can be had new for way less money.

6. Lots of basses in that range, especially used: Fender, Sadowsky, maybe even a Lull. Lakland makes a great line of Jazz basses if you like 35" scale. Dark horse candidate: If you can find a used Wilkins bass in that range you would likely be very, very, very, very happy.

groove pump and Bassworship1 like this.
  7. JRMK

JRMK

May 28, 2007
    Lull, AtelierZ, Fender Elite, Roscoe, Lakland, Kiesel, Sadowsky Metro, Bacchus, Pedulla Rapture, Bassmods. On tad pricier side of things maybe F Bass or Nordy. Sometimes I think there's more of those who make J basses than those who don't!

mattj1stc, Dabndug and Bassworship1 like this.
  8. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Lot's of great options out there in that price range. If I were in your situation, I probably would go for a used Sadowsky. I've owned a Metro and currently own a NYC. Both have been great basses. One note, I really prefer single coils. This option might be difficult to come by in a used Metro. If I recall, most Metros have the Sadowsky Hum Cancelling pickups. You might prefer the HC's over the SC's, which would make this point moot, but I thought I would mention it.

All this being said, there have been great suggestions in this thread. I hope you find an awesome jazz bass.

Happy Hunting,
    Bones

IamGroot, R&B and Bassworship1 like this.
  9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I've got a Bacchus Woodline 5 with Sadowksy pickups and a Nordstrand preamp. Paid half of your budget. I would do that again in a heartbeat.

NigelD and Bassworship1 like this.
  10. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Shop well, and you can find a previously owned Mike Lull in that price range.

kwdhsk, Ryno1330 and Bassworship1 like this.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you are talking new or used Keisel or Carvin, it will be very hard to beat the quality. Keisel’s are heavier than boutiques, but you can have them chambered for a $500 upcharge. In terms of wood work, fret work and electronics, Keisel is just as good head to head as any bass I have played, and I have played a lot of basses.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  12. FantasticFour

FantasticFour

Dec 14, 2013
    Europeland
    My personal faves are
    Vintage tone : G&L J5
    Contemporary : Atelier Z

Bassworship1 likes this.
  13. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Nobody mentioned Xotic yet, they make some slick J basses that are in that range used

download (2).jpeg

14. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    For new, G&L JB-5 and Sandberg spring to mind. I have the G&L with a lightweight empress body, and it sounds great. I wish it had the optional 12" radius instead of the standard 9.5" though, and I might sell it to get a J5 with a flatter fretboard.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  15. FantasticFour

FantasticFour

Dec 14, 2013
    Europeland
    What exactly is it that you don't like about the 9.5" radius?

16. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    Love my MIJ Sadowsky Metro Express 5 string J. $1975 brand new.

R&B, Kallen, nonohmic and 4 others like this.
  17. TideSwing

TideSwing

Oct 31, 2014
    Las Vegas
    Do you mean for metal?

18. pappabass

pappabass Suspended

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
    Make sure it is a active EQ

19. nilorius

nilorius Suspended

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Over 2000 - Fender professional.

20. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    Worth considering also is a Moollon J-Classic V. They are very well crafted instruments and hard to beat for a vintage Jazz Bass vibe in a 5-string. I've had mine about five years. There aren't a lot of them floating around, but occasionally they pop up used. Ballpark used price seems to be $1700 - $2000.

Moollon J5 sm.jpg

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    R&B, JDA04OSU, JRMK and 1 other person like this.