1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best 5-string Under 1k?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DTSH, Oct 24, 2010.

1. DTSH

DTSH

Sep 23, 2008
    Woodside, Queens, NY
    Hi all-

I'm currently doing a sell-off to raise money for an illness in the family, but will hopefully be above water again by the holidays (particularly with bonuses coming in, etc). I figure I can allocate maybe 600-900 for a bass, so I wanted to get some input!

What's the best 5er under a grand? Preferably including a 3-band EQ, relatively classic styling (nothing pointy!) and decent string spacing (18mm preferred). Figured there was no better pool of people to ask advice from than this forum.

Thanks in advance!

2. Basshoofd

Basshoofd

Jan 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    Lakland builds very good 5 strings but they have a bigger scale and string spacing I believe. The neck is very thin so that helps a lot. Maybe a used Stingray? Smaller spacing and classic styling.

3. MTD Heir ?

4. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

Oct 17, 2009
    Wickham, UK
    I've got an Ibanez SR305 and I really like it. I think the string spacng is a bit tighter than you may like and the EQ takes some getting used to. Some of the higher range SR series are different. Might be worth checking =)

5. JMBassist

JMBassist

Jun 17, 2010
    Portugal
    Some chances around 1K

MTD Z5
    MTD Heir 5
    Ibanez BTB675
    Lakland skyline 55.02

6. cioppo

cioppo

Jun 15, 2010
    Prato, Italy
    G&L Tribute?

7. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    any of the MTD offshore models. I have a preference to hunting down a Grendel 5 string. I had one and when quitting the 5 and going back to 4 hunted down an identical version.

8. silvertones

silvertones

Apr 19, 2010
    Carvin BB75 or LB75. Carvin gives the best bang for the buck IMHO. No need to buy used that way.I have a 1997 BB75

9. notrly1337

notrly1337

Oct 10, 2010
    Philippines
    I really like Ibanez soundgear but since u mention the string spacing (Ibanez is 16.5) u might as well get a G&L tribute, MTD Heir or Schecter. Try also looking at the used category.

10. gricko

gricko

Mar 29, 2004
    dingwall combustion

11. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    For me, the best sub $1000k five string is either a new Sterling by Musicman Ray35 or a second hand EBMM SR5. The Rays have a really great B string whereas many others are floppy. Not sure how they pull it off.

12. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    +1 :bassist:

13. bfc

bfc

Feb 15, 2008
    Fenton, MO
    Carvin B50 with HB2 bridge pickup or Yamaha BB415 for a much less expensive bass that still kicks!

14. you can get a new 55-01 Lakland Skyline for around 800 and used around 5 or 600.

I just picked up a 55-01 with optional ebony fretless board and it's nice.

15. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I'd go for a used Lakland 55-01 or used G&L L2500. If you happen to find a Lakland 55-02 for under a grand jump on it. Killer instrument.

16. funk generator

funk generator Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    +1000 on the lakland. Iv owned 2 skylines in the past and they were both exceptional. Iv also had an MTD Z5 that was quite amazing however it was mega modded. The skylines were stock

17. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    Ibby Soundgear. any of em for that price.

18. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    If I wanted another 5, I'd go Lakland Skyline. Either a 55-02 or Joe Osborn (44-60) are my favorites.

19. If you want something traditional looking, go for the Fender MIM Deluxe Jazz V. Played one at a gig and like it a lot.

20. If you go used, your options open wide.

For $900 or less, I've bought:

2 USA Fender Jazz Vs
    2 USA G&L L2500s (fretted and fretless)
    1 EBMM SR5
    1 Rick Turner Electroline 5-string fretless

I've seen tons of other stuff under a grand. Don't be afraid to go used - you'll get way more bass for the $$.