Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best 6-string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tww001, Feb 15, 2004.

1. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    I'm gonna get a 6-string this summer, obviously I'm gonna get the one that best suits me, but I'm looking for suggestions from people. The one's I've tried so far are the warwick thumb (bolt-on and neck-thru) and corvette, some Peavey (don't remember which one), and the Yamaha TRB John Patitucci model. any other basses I should go try?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    All of them... seriously! Even the 4, 5 and 7 etc. Note what fits and not... then find/have built the one with the most 'fits best'.

:bassist:

Sorry if I wasn't any help. But Congrats, I'm getting a 6 shortly too :D I can't wait.

3. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    what's your budget?
    you might wanne consider the ibanez sr3006e

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I have a corvette 6 that I pretty much like, but as speddling said, go and try as many basses as you can.

A VERY important question: what TONE are you looking for?

5. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    I should go for a pre 2002 warwick or a nice Warmoth Gecko.

6. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    if you are looking at the JP TRB, why not see if you can find an older TRB 6P? They are neck through, 35 in. scale, with Peizo bridge.
    But it isnt quite as good lookin as the JP, (although may be had for a lot less cash)

7. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    I would definately like to try to stay under $2k. I'm looking for something with a lot of growl and punch. I like the tone of my 4-string corvette ALOT. I'm mostly an upright player in a jazz group, and the woody growl of the Warwick is very pleasing. Most of my electric playing is latin. I hardly (if ever) play any rock.

8. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Can't give any advice, but I think that JP is smokin'! :cool:

9. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    tww001,

I just traded in an absolutely gorgeous Ken Smith "Black Tiger" 6 string...tiger maple core with an awesome highly figured black walnut top to G Guitars http://www.gguitars.com . They don't have pics on the site yet, but you can call Chris toll free at 866-508-5550 for a price. Killer bass for all styles, but is especially popular with latin players.

It won't be under 2K, but shouldn't be significantly more.

10. cant beat that deal craig!

tww001, you should definitely check out some used "botique" basses. you can get amazing deals on some of the top basses being made today this way.

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Growl and punch you say???? Be sure to check out a roscoe SKB-3006. You can get them used for under $2000. Incredible little basses. In that price range I can't reccommend anything more than a roscoe. I'm simply in love with my 6er.

12. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    2nd'ed! :D
    :bassist: