1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best advice you ever got from an experienced player...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MoonChild2112, Jan 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MoonChild2112

MoonChild2112

Oct 16, 2013
    was discussing this with a friend the other day...

what was the best advice you ever got from an old guy (experienced player), that you found to be both true and useful?

I have 2...

1.) old dude in Chicago ( Blues player, probly in his late 60's at the time... I was in my late teens, so he seemed older than God to me at the time) once told me... "never store your Bass in a case, if you don't see it you won't think about practicing as much"... turned out he was right, I keep a Bass right next to "my spot", and not an hour goes by that I don't at least pick it up and noodle for at least 15-20 minuets at a time and that doesn't include my normal 4 hours of actual practice every day...

2.) had a fairly well known studio musician in L.A. once tell me... "Music is the universal truth, it doesn't matter how good you are technically... if you play with passion,conviction and confidence... it will be good, and people will dig it"... I'm far from the best player in town, but I've never heard any complaints... even from musicians that are way better than me, because even if I'm not playing exactly the right notes (as written) it still sounds kool (and I've been told, sometimes even better than the original) and the crowd always seems to like it...

I started playing in 1972, as a Bassist...(thank you Geezer Butler, Chris Squire, Greg Lake, and John Wetton!!)...
    and have gotten so many pieces of useless advice I couldn't begin to count them (no money above the 5th fret type of nonsense)... just was curious if anyone else has had this experience...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    "You'll learn more in an hour on stage with a band than you will in 100 hours practicing alone."

Absolutely true. Play with others as soon and as often as you can. If you don't want to do that switch to guitar or piano or another instrument that works solo.

3. Ninevolt

Ninevolt

Nov 26, 2015
    "The notes you don't play are just as important".

4. This is a quote from billoetjen 7-11-2010 in thread "La Bella Deep Talkin': Best. Strings. Ever." I liked it so much I copied and pasted it to my hard drive. Quote:

"Funny, but my mentor on bass gave me just a few rules within which to work:
    Never play a solo, play as few notes as you can to support the song, avoid effects, and stick to four strings - just make sure they're La Bella Deep Talking Bass.
    Every day that I pick up my axe, I realize exactly how right he was."

Well, I do play with effects, but I try to use them as tastefully as possible, within the context of the song.

Dark Red Moon and MoonChild2112 like this.
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    "Sight reading is just playing by ear through your eyes."

One of the deepest concepts anyone has ever laid on me in just ten words. Still paying dividends some 30 years later.

6. MoonChild2112

MoonChild2112

Oct 16, 2013
    heard this one too... I call it the "John McVie " syndrome... the greatest Bass player you've never heard...

7. MoonChild2112

MoonChild2112

Oct 16, 2013
    while I'm no stranger to pedals, ( I am a Prog player after all, till I either die, or can't play any more...) and have recently been very interested in flats... I can't afford $150 a pop for strings (I'm already stretching the budget with $30 Rotos every couple months)... though I am putting a Bass together specifically for flats, just haven't quite decided what brand/type ( ie. stainless, nickel, high/low tension... etc...) just gotta get a few more parts together before I make any serious choices...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    stratovani likes this.
  8. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Sound is nothing but for the silence that surrounds it...
    Anon

9. You don't need more gear, you need more practice.

Nuf said.

10. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    KEEP! your mouth SHUT and play ONLY what I tell you to, watch ME, DON'T play too many notes, turn down some-you CAN'T be louder than me, stand by the drummer and NOT by me, you slap-you DIE, tune from me and my 2k strat and not your $5.00 garbage tuner!?, If you want play with us you must supply US beer and ice- ''I'm not kidding either'' that one was one of the main RULES. You can't wear that, you can't play rounds-you need flats only, when we take a break,you cannot socialize with the patrons YET. I was young(22-23?) 1st time in a pro band with season veterans in their 60s-they chose me because I was obedient and could play. I played with those oldtimers until the last one past away a few years ago. What a ride and wealth of knowledge they passed on to me. I will never forget the things they taught me and why.

JRA, Gravedigger Dav, LouieV2 and 6 others like this.
  11. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    Always have some condoms in your gigbag.

12. "Relax, have fun!"

13. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Ray Brown, who I think qualified as an "experienced player," said this when I asked him for advice for my son Max, who was in an undergrad Jazz performance program at the time: "Just play the bass, Max."

14. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    "Now boys, no matter what happens, just keep smiling." - Chuck Berry to us, just before the curtain went up in Utica. Union call, no rehearsal.

Dark Red Moon, JRA, Joebone and 14 others like this.
  15. swafran

swafran

Nov 6, 2008
    Paris, France
    Me: "How do I learn how to sing and play bass at the same time?"

Mentor: "At this point you can't go too wrong learning something. Learn how to play bass. Learn how to sing."

murphy likes this.
  16. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I was having lunch with a very experienced guitar player who has played with many national acts such as Jack Bruce, John Entwistle, Todd Rungren and many others. Someone asked him how he was able to get these gigs.

He said:
    "Show up on time, show up prepared, understand that your role is to make the artist who hired you look good, and don't be a dick"

interp, Dark Red Moon, JRA and 12 others like this.
  17. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    Play with people that play better than you...as often as possible, and learn to tune and play by ear.

18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    "best advice you ever got from an experienced player..."

Always wear a 'raincoat'...

What can I say? The rent came due, and she really wasn't that bad looking, either.

19. lbbc

lbbc

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    From Billy Sheehan at a bass clinic near DC..... Enjoy what you are playing and play with passion. My son, also a bassist, attended the clinic with me and said that was the best advice he ever heard

JRA, MoonChild2112 and murphy like this.
  20. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Stage ain't nuttin but a piecea wood. Treats ereybody equal.

Dark Red Moon and MoonChild2112 like this.