Best "Affordable" Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FatBottomThump, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Squier

143 vote(s)
    66.8%
  2. Yamaha

58 vote(s)
    27.1%
  3. Xaviere

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  4. Brice

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  5. Ursa

9 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Hadean

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. bassramos

bassramos

Feb 13, 2006
    Chicago North
    This 170 dollar ursa 6 string is as nice as any of my basses after a good fret file. I have 5 lakland skylines 2 usa fenders you name it, Th sx 6 is crazy

2. GoesThump

GoesThump

Jul 13, 2007
    Dollar for dollar, Yamaha gets my vote.

That said, there's a ton of good & cheap basses out there. Squier, SX, Ibanez, etc. Not like it was in the bad old days!

GT

3. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Off the list, I've only played a Yamaha. A well made, great bang for the buck bass.

"Best" is purely subjective. Perhaps "favorite" or "most popular" would be more appropriate.

4. Squier all the way!

5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Yes, I've got 3 SX Ursa 6ers and I agree they are nice. But the whole poll is flawed. Not only because of no Ibanez (got two: SR206/SR506...killer only $200 used) but also because you can't just pick out a "best" in bargain basses. But the list, however, is still quite instructive.

What I mean is if you start at the top (Squire ...yeah got a Squire P/J 5 that is irrefutably better than any Fender MIA ...Fender doesn't make one) and move downward toward SX at the bottom, ALL these basses have super potential, but the top of the list tends to cost a bit more, but tends to be a bit more playable without mods out of the box. Down the list, like my Ursa basses have turned into amazing instruments but that was after my usual SX mods. And Brice basses need less attention out of the box, but cost more than SX etc.

Now like any bass the rule isn't true for ALL basses, but just in general.

So depending on how much shielding, pot changing, setup, fret filing etc. you are willing to do (all cheap mods nothing expensive like new pickups) the more you can move down the list and the more money you can save. And I not only own a number of these basses I also have played a couple of other (yamaha and Brice) and have been greatly impressed with them as well.

Hey, maybe I'm just a bottom-feeder but I love ALL the cheap basses on this list and would not hesititate to buy any of them if I found one that did something I was interested in and felt good in my hands.

6. MartinB200

MartinB200

Oct 2, 2011
    Would say Ibanez for affordable and also for comfort. But on the list, I'd say Yamaha - just a bit over squire.

7. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    Squier - For a "classic" feel and sound
    Ibanez - For a "modern" feel and sound

8. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I hear a lot of people saying Ibanez should be on there but Ibanez also makes some rather pricey basses (SR Premium series, Prestige series basses, and their sig models can easily bust $1k in price). Don't get me wrong, they make some phenomenal low and mid-range basses as well, but I don't consider them a "budget" or "entry-level" builder by any means.

9. ics1974

ics1974

Apr 13, 2012
    I all honesty I have only owned and played the Squiers so that got my vote.

10. El-Bob

El-Bob

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    I'm not sure that 'best' is as subjective at this price point as it is at higher ones. There's objectivity in fit and finish and component quality, and I think that's why Squier and Yamaha win over the competitors in this poll. Just IMO though :)

So does Yamaha. If Ibanez were on here, it would be restricted to their budget lines which are excellent.

11. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    You didn't include these. Open your horizons to be greater than what Mom and POP shops and MF, and GC offer. Brubaker Brutes man!!!

Attached Files:

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021