Best "Affordable" Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FatBottomThump, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Squier

143 vote(s)
    66.8%
  2. Yamaha

58 vote(s)
    27.1%
  3. Xaviere

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  4. Brice

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  5. Ursa

9 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Hadean

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. Ibanez

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    None of the above. For best low price basses Id go with $300-$400 range Esp Ltd,. Jackson, & Ibanez.

3. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    Yammy RBX170: Best low-budget bass available

Outside of that, I say Squier

4. low2groove

low2groove Tyranis 4 / Lower Groove Guitars

Jan 21, 2007
    Ibanez makes those Squires and all the others you asked about look like sour milk.

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    RBX170 doesn't get enough love in the world. A Fantastic bass at that price.

6. Astreaux

Astreaux

Aug 31, 2012
    Krutonia
    +1 on that!!

7. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    I voted Yamaha. Some of the Made in Japan models are quite nice. :D:D

I haven't heard of about half of the others.

8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Sadly, I haven't had the opportunity to fiddle around with all the brands on the poll or the thread's "write-ins". That being said, my personal opinion says "Squier", especially my Standard P-Bass Special.

9. I've played literally none of these... I have played an Ibanez before, though, and it was an excellent bass. I agree with a lot of the other posters, in that I think Ibanez should've been included in the poll... Needless to say, I didn't vote.

10. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Well it's pretty clear that all brands that should have been included were not but of those the OP DID include then yes, Squier CVs and VMs would have an edge over the others.

11. Um...

I really like Schecters for the money, Squier VMs and Ibanez. Yamaha basses always seem decently made to me as well.

The real answer is play them and see what speaks to you.

12. Proraptor

Proraptor

Apr 19, 2012
    Ibanez, end of thread

13. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    This. Though I'll add in Cort as being another brand producing fantastic basses at reasonable prices. They make most other brands' basses anyway....

14. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    in this price range, Ibanez by a long mile..

15. Ultimately it comes down to the sound and tone you're looking for. Once that question is answered, you start leaning towards certain brands. For me though, I'd go with Squier or Yamaha.

16. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    They're really close as far as pricetag go (less than $. 300.00)

The first one (the cheaper) is an ultra affordable alder body passive P/J bass
    The second one (bit pricier) yet ultra affordable alder body passive exposed polepieces humbuckers with two band active equalizer

You can resell'em anytime, anyplace 'cause each and everybody relies on Yamaha entry level quality control

Cheers,
    Wallace

17. THIS.
    Thus I vote "Carrots".

18. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    ESP basses are terrific!

19. Ibanez....great price, great bass

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021