1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Alternative to DR Nickel Lo-Riders

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 18reisd, Aug 12, 2012.

1. 18reisd

18reisd

Aug 12, 2012
    Hey All,
    I just got a new set of Nickel Lo-Riders for my jazz bass, which i really love, but about a week in, the g-string broke, and I have a gig tomorrow, but I can't find a replacement set at any nearby music stores. Can you recommend me a similarly tensioned nickel set that breaks in quickly that I can use for my g-string?

2. 18reisd

18reisd

Aug 12, 2012
    Oh and I forgot to mention, this is my first post here at TB.

3. 18reisd

18reisd

Aug 12, 2012
    I will be playing Rush at the gig, but I'm also going to be playing blues songs like Born Under a Bad Sign, so I need a good string for bright tones and fat, deep almost p-bass sounding tones. (Sorry I forgot to mention this also)

4. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    D'Addario XL NICKEL ROUND WOUND, inexpensive and easy to find.

5. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    There don't seem to be a lot of hex core nickel wrapped strings on the market.

Looks like SIT makes a Power Wound set and Hartke also makes one, but they probably won't sell them as singles anywhere near you. Any nickel wrap (even if it's round core) probably won't be even noticed as any different to the audience, it'll probably only be a minor tension difference for you.

I'd try and track down what caused the string break (bridge saddle burrs?) so that you can avoid it from happening in the future.

6. 18reisd

18reisd

Aug 12, 2012
    I'm fine with nickel wrap as I only need a short term replacement. I not quite sure how as the bass was being set up and the guy that broke it put on a super low tension, (I prefer higher tension) clanky string. What do you think about Dunlop, or D'Addarios, as previously mentioned?

7. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I had to throw a Dunlop nickel wrapped E string on my DR lo-rider nickel stringed bass just before a recording session.

Realistically, the main difference I had was that the tension is a little lighter, and that since it was a brand new string, it was brighter than its broken in brethren.

All in all, it's not a dealbreaker. No one will notice but you and it's just a stopgap measure that can be remedied properly when time/budget permit.

8. 18reisd

18reisd

Aug 12, 2012
    I'll try it. I also heard that rubbing your strings after eating something greasy deadens them. Is this fact or just an old wives tale?

9. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Probably some truth, but you're better off making sure you've adequately pulled on it throughout its length to even out the tension on the core, plus it's not as gross.

10. Jeffrey Wash

Jeffrey Wash Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Santa Cruz
    Another vote for the D'addario's.

In the long run you might also check out the Sadowsky Blue Label Nickels.

11. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    For a G, probably any nickel round will do except D'Addario XL's. They are probably the furthest thing away from Lo-Riders that you can get.

12. I doubt they're farther away than the Dunlops. In fact, I'm positive they aren't. In fact the D'addarios were the first that came to mind as a short term replacement. Not that they're super close but they're easy to get a hold of and I'm sure they'll pull through in the clutch.

13. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    :eyebrow:

Not a whole lot. Only about 90% of the strings that are sold.

Dunlop
    Boomers
    SIT
    D'Addario
    Slinky's
    Rotosound Rotobass
    Smith Burners

Any shop should have at least one of those.

14. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    How do you come to that conclusion? They are both nickle on a hex core. The D'Addario may have a little more zing out of the box, but they break in quickly and are similar in tension. More detail please, keeping in mind we are talking a quick fix not long term solution.

15. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I stand corrected. I've had trouble finding nickel wrapped hex core strings when I go to shops. When I can find nickel wrapped they're usually round core. Guess I hadn't searched hard enough.

I really wish that retailers would make core type more easily searchable.

16. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    D'Addario XL's are a very percussive string, IE, lots of attack and fundamental with very little harmonic overtone. A very modern scooped tone. That's their niche, that's why people buy them.

Compared to the DR rounds series like Hi Beams, Lo Riders, Fat Beams, Sun Beams, etc., those are all designed to be richly harmonic with lots of overtones, perfect for grind and growl with a strong mid presence. Just because they both have hex cores and similar tension means nothing.

17. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'll give you that on the Hi Beams, Fat Beams, & Sun Beams. But; the Nickel Low Riders are just that, nickle wrapped around a hex core. Not really all that different than any other quality nickle round on a hex core. Again we are talking "quick fix" for a live gig with in 24/48 hours, not a studio recording session. In this situation the emphasis is on finding a suitable temp replacement for the short term, not saying that string A is more that or less than equal to string B. Kid just needs a G nickel round to hold him over and may not have access to a single DR as quickly as he needs it. In this instance it comes down to go to the nearest open shop and select from what is available. Beats playin' with only 3 strings, eh? ;)

18. 18reisd

18reisd

Aug 12, 2012
    I changed the G to a Dunlop, and the tension feels good, but will the tone settle down by tomorrow? Would I screw up the neck if I just changed all of the strings for now?

19. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'll make it easy for you!

Round core roundwounds:
    DR Beams/Neons/ExtraLife/Hellborg
    Fodera
    Dean Markley Super Rounds
    TI Jazz Rounds

That's about it. Might be one or two more I'm not aware of.

20. 18reisd

18reisd

Aug 12, 2012
    The string has broken in, but do you think I should just put the whole set on?