Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BEST AMP HEAD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassampegman, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Hi im looking for a second Amp head for my rock playing, i have the SVTCL all valve Ampeg which i like but its a bit of a one trick pony.

I would like at least 500w (or a generous 350w ) good eq section, punchy sound, lightweight and Solid state with pre amp tubes.

Here in the UK we only hear of Hartke, and Ashdown as the main contenders and then you leap into the Ampeg type of gear.

I am about to get my first Schroeder 1210 cab in the next month ( takes ages to get to UK ) and i have a 1 x15" Ampeg and a 4 x 10 Ampeg.

Any suggestions for a good amp ??

2. i love my Traynor YBA200 :D

3. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    If you can get your hands on a Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360 or 600, that would be an awesome choice. Then again, I don't know how much they go for over there.

4. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    AGUILAR AG 500 OR AMPEG SVT 4 PRO

5. Mesa 400+, Mesa Walkabout :D

(Hi Martin)

6. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Eden WT550, Solid state, Tube pre-amp and easy to use yet effective EQ section.

7. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium

+1

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    iAMP 800 would be my top pick, but the Thunderfunk head is a very generous 400 watts into 4 ohm. Even though these two don't have preamp tubes, they are not sterile like some ss amps can be, and in fact, the iAMP 800 is one of the thickest (yet incredibly clear) heads that I have heard. I also own a Mesa Boogie Walkabout, and can attest for the M-Pulse line as well.

9. I have to agree about the iAmp 800. It's very impressive in terms of tone and power.

10. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Try the Tech21 Landmark 600 head. It has both the RBI & RPM Sansamp preamps in it, they can be run individually or combined and you have 600 watts of power.... :bassist:

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What is your budget? And are you planning on importing the amp, or buying in europe?

I would look at the Eden WT550, the ThunderFunk TFB420, the EA iAmp 800(or a used 500), or maybe a used SWR.

What about EBS? Aren't they available in your part of the world? They make a killer head too, and they have to cost less in Europe than they do here.

12. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    GK 800RB or 1001RB-II

13. I guess im was looking for something better than Hartke or Ashdown, but not the high prices of Ampeg etc.

Looking to spend maybe £750.00 for a good amp head,

lots of the makes mentioned are not normally seen here in the UK shops, Mesa yes but too pricey, as is SWR.

Martin

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Is EBS available? It should be pretty close to your price range.

15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i havent tried the i amp but i hear its tha bomb
    however - the aguilar 750 is 46 lbs but is the loudest dammned amp i've heard in a long time
    theyre very conservativly rated power wise - kinda like trace used to be
    and they sound nice
    if i was gonna go with a head only i'd probably buy one

16. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Got to recommend the Thunderfunk TF420. I played through the M-Pulse 600 for 7 months and it was ultimately just too dark sounding for my taste. The TF sounds nice and warm (like it's got pre tubes) and is an incredibly loud 400 watts @ 4 ohms! Changing sounds is quick and easy with the "enhance" and "timbre" controls and the amp's also got a 4-band semi-parametric for tweaking your sound. I describe it as somewhere between the SWR hi-fi sound and Mesa warm tube sound.

17. I dont think Thunderfunk are here in the UK we only see a few of the makes unless you export we havnt a hope of seeing.

Shops full of Ashdown, Hartke and Ampeg, Peavey, Carlsboro,Marshall, Mesa Boogie but thats about it

Mart

18. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  19. Scooperman

Scooperman

May 28, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Let me add my vote for the EA iamp800. Sounds great with my Schroeder 1210 and it's comfortable going down to 2 ohms, which alot of other head can't do, and that's useful if you want to use another cab with your 1210, as the 1210 is rated at 4 ohms.

The iamp800 lists a little bit higher than your price point, but I think you might be able to get it for quite a bit less from somebody like Bob Gollihur.

20. what about Trace......

they are british so you could get hold of them.

(expat scot in OZ and i have 2 traces both shipped with me to Australia!)