Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best at Playing While Singing?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was just playing along with some song from the first Graham Central Station CD like "Hair" "Ain't No Fun to Me" and "Can You Handle It?" and it just amazes me to think that Larry Graham played this stuff while singing lead. He has got to be one of the best ever at playing and singing. Who else would you guys list among the all time most coordinated?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Someone that never gets mentioned arouind here-

George Hawkins of Kenny Loggins' "Feel The Fire" era band. The guy plays some nice syncopated, funky lines while singing harmony...and doing it LIVE!

3. Nathan East for me.

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    There's quite a few I can think of, but probably my favorite is John Wetton.

5. Geddy, of course:-D

6. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I don't think he belongs on the "best" list, but I really liked some of Entwistle's vocals on early Who tracks and performances like "A Quick One" from Rock and Roll Circus. I think his voice was pretty shot by the 80s, but in the Who's early career he was very versatile and added alot to the cool Who sound.

7. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    McCartney. His vocal lines and bass lines are totally independent. Chris Squire's no slouch in this department, either.

8. Alan Gorrie from AWB.

9. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    He may not have sang and played at the same time on the record. :D

Here's two more: Will Lee and Sarah Lee.

10. Check out Nefarious of MACABRE, he plays great and fast lines on his 6 string, while singing.
    Such guys are fascinating me. Cause there are so much bassists that are also singers and they play a lot less complicatet than the guitar-riffs really are. For ex. the Carcass singer/bass player or Tom aray of Slayer.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Music is a bit cheesy, but I respect Mark King. He does the pop vocalist thing rather well while laying down some crazy bass.

I say Mark King because Mr. Poon beat me to Wetton.

OOH and Sting... very syncopated bass and amazing vocals... at least in the Police.

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Dude from Big Business is pretty good.
    The man who played Derek Smalls
    Greg Lake
    Nick Oliveri
    Dan Rathbum
    Phil Lynot
    Jason Newsted

13. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee. ;)

14. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Jack Bruce!! He plays fretless and sings (I mean, *really* sings) and both are always in tune!

15. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Interesting to see that you mentioned Jason Newsted. Are his back-up vocals/basslines challenging to do? To me he just would not be an obvious choice when discussing bassists who are best at playing & singing. Is there any song(s) in particular that I should listen to?

By the way, no disrespect to Jason Newsted or any of his fans.

If I had to pick I would go with the following -

Geddy Lee
    Sting
    Paul McCartney

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I've seen him play bass and sing lead on some songs, but I remember what they were. It's relative depending on your style.

Which is "harder" to sing and play correctly? The Great Deceiver by King Crimson or Disposable Heros by Metallica.

It's up to whatever style you are used to playing.

That said, I find the more my left hand is moving is a constant ostinato, that it is easier to play and sing together. Add a rest in there somewhere and I would have to practice it for a few days.

17. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Geddy. He's not singing just background stuff or an occasional song. Those are lead vocals with very active bass lines and synth triggers.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and Hamish Stuart from AWB.
    ;)

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Mark King's sense of rhythm is ridiculous, he is able to do very complex stuff at the same time as singing!

Wetton and Sting were runners up, but y'all beat me to it.

20. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Sting and Phil Lynott.Both have quite difficult lines along with amazing singing